Love is a four letter word that comes in all shapes and sizes— in the words we speak to close a phone call, in the tireless hours we invest in our passions, and in the heart shaped emojis our fingers quickly type to friends. Love is love; it’s seen in many moments of our lives and every February we get an entire day devoted to reminding those near and dear to our hearts of this four letter word.
What to Write in a Valentine’s Day Card
As a celebration of Valentine’s Day people exchange flowers, Valentine’s Day gifts and scribble love notes on the blank spaces of greeting cards. Although we express how we feel almost every other day of the year, on Valentine’s day, it’s always more difficult to put feelings on paper. Before you begin writing your heartfelt Valentine message think about the person you are writing to.
We’ve listed 5 steps below that will help you create the perfect Valentine’s Day cards:
- Address your Valentine. Start your message off by addressing your card recipient. Your opening phrase should reflect your relationship with whom you are writing to.
- Wish your card recipient a Happy Holiday. This is usually accomplished with a simple phrase like, “Happy Valentine’s Day!”
- Write a heartfelt message. When writing your message, speak from the heart. Add personalized touches to let your Valentine know how much you care.
- Use a quote to inspire your Valentine’s Day message. Don’t be afraid to borrow a few words from your favorite writer or poet. Valentine’s day quotes can be very touching additions to your greeting card and go great with a box of chocolates or handmade Valentine’s Day gift.
- Sign your card with love. Use a loving closing to wrap up your Valentine’s day message and end your greeting just as it started off.
Whether you’re crafting a note for a friend, a family member or a partner, our collection of Valentine’s Day quotes will help you get started and may even inspire you. Add something more to your Valentine messages than “CRAZY 4U” with these Happy Valentine’s Day quotes.
Scroll through our entire collection or quickly jump to quotes perfect for your Valentine:
- Happy Valentine’s Quotes
- Funny Valentine’s Day Quotes
- Valentine’s Day Quotes for Him
- Valentine’s Day Quotes for Her
- Perfect Valentine’s Day Quotes for Friends
- Cute Valentine’s Day Quotes
- Valentine’s Day Quotes for You
- Valentine Wishes
- Other Valentine’s Day Messages and Sayings
Happy Valentine’s Quotes
Famous authors, poets and notable figures have been trying to put love into words for ages. When your words escape you, borrow these Happy Valentine’s quotes to make that someone special feel loved.
- “Where there is great love, there are always wishes.” —Willa Cather
- “Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt the truth to be a liar, But never doubt I love.” —William Shakespeare
- “If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love.” —Maya Angelou
- “This fire that we call Loving is too strong for human minds. But just right for human souls.” —Aberjhani
- “Most people are slow to champion love because they fear the transformation it brings into their lives. And make no mistake about it: love does take over and transform the schemes and operations of our egos in a very mighty way.” —Aberjhani
- “Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever.” —Audre Lorde
- “Romance is thinking about your significant other, when you are supposed to be thinking about something else.” —Nicholas Sparks
- “Love is when the desire to be desired takes you so badly that you feel you could die of it.” —Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- “I won’t give up on us, even if the skies get rough.” —Jason Mraz
- “We love because he first loved us.” —1 John 4:19
- A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.” —Ingrid Bergman
- “Love is being stupid together.” —Paul Valery
- “Love is a condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” —Robert Heinlein
- “Anyone can be passionate but it takes real lovers to be silly.” —Rose Franken
- “Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves- alone we find it with another.” —Thomas Merton
Funny Valentine’s Day Quotes
If your Valentine appreciates good humor and an even better laugh, add a few funny Valentine’s day quotes to your message. These quotes will help you make light of the holiday in good humor.
- “Words cannot expresso how much you mean to me.” —Anonymous
- “If you were a transformer you’d be Optimus Fine.” —Anonymous
- “Love is a game that two can play and both win.” —Eva Gabor
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” —Charles M. Schulz
- “On a scale of one to ten, I’d give you a nine — and I’m the one you need.” —Anonymous
- “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.” —Anonymous
- “If you were on paper, you’d be what they call fine print.” —Anonymous
- “Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I skinned my knee when I fell for you.” —Anonymous
- “I think you are suffering from a lack of Vitamin ME.” —Anonymous
- “I’m yours, no refunds.” —Anonymous
- “There is no one I’d rather lie in bed and look at my phone next to.” —Anonymous
- “You’re the peanut butter to my jelly.” —Anonymous
- “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” —Rita Rudner
Valentine’s Day Quotes for Him
When you’re trying to figure out what to write in a Valentine’s day card for him just remember to keep your message personal. Before you begin writing your message, think about why this person is special to you. You can also think about things that the two of you do together and how they wouldn’t be the same without him. You’d be surprised at how far a little personalization can go.
Use your pet name for him, jot down a list of inside jokes that only the two of you share and find some inspiration with these Valentines day quotes for him.
- “My favorite place in all of the world is next to you.” —Anonymous
- “From the first time I saw you, I knew you would have my heart. Happy Valentine’s Day to the best husband I could have asked for.” —Anonymous
- “Love is more than longing gazes, dancing in the rain and candlelight dinners, but I am so glad we experience all of that and more. I love you!” —Anonymous
- “Happy Valentine’s Day to my handsome guy. I am proud to be yours and love being with you on this day and each chance we can get!” —Anonymous
- “All my life, my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name.” Andre Breton
- “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” —The Chaos of Stars
- “I love you because you make me ridiculously happy.” —Anonymous
- “Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me. Then I remember, oh I put up with you. So we’re even.” —Anonymous
- “And suddenly all the love songs were about you.” —Anonymous
- “You stole my heart, but I’ll let you keep it.” —Anonymous
- “I swear I couldn’t love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow.” —Leo Christopher
- “I’ve never been so scared of losing something in my entire life, then again nothing in my life has ever meant as much to me as you do.” —Anonymous
- “I love that rush, when he folds me into his arms and I can let out a sign of relief, knowing I’m safe there. Always. -Michelle Poelking
- “When I’m with you hours feel like seconds. When we’re apart, days feel like years.” —Anonymous
- “I will never forget the moment I realized I loved you.” —Anonymous
Valentine’s Day Quotes for Her
Remind her of the beauty you get to see everyday and fill the space of your Valentine’s day card with words that will touch her heart. These Valentine’s day quotes will elevate your message to match all of your special gift ideas for her this Valentine’s day.
- “In a world full of temporary things you are a perpetual feeling.” —Sanober Khan
- “Love is like the wind. You can’t see it, but you can feel it.” —A Walk to Remember
- “Love is too weak a word for what I feel for you. One life is too small a time to express how madly I am in love with you.” —Anonymous
- “You take my breath away. Always.” —Anonymous
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus a day so I never have to live without you.” —Anonymous
- “Come live in my heart, and pay no rent.” —Anonymous
- “You have no idea how fast my heart beats when I see you.” —Anonymous
- “Being someone’s first love may be great, but to be their last is beyond perfect.” —Anonymous
- “I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I’ve ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours.” —The Notebook
- “I kind of sort of maybe quite possibly like you a lot.” —Anonymous
- “Love isn’t finding the perfect person. It’s seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” —Sam Keen
- “Because, a girl like you is impossible to find.” —Anonymous
- “I love you not only for what you are but, for what I am when I’m with you.” —Roy Croft
- “Turns out I like you a lot more than I originally planned.” —Anonymous
- “I love you for all that you are, all that you have been and all that you are yet to be.” —Anonymous
Perfect Valentine’s Day Quotes for Friends
Friendship is an extraordinary kind of love that may not always get the credit it deserves. Whether your friendship is more playful or serious, sending a Valentine’s day card to your friends is a great way to remind them how much you enjoy their company. Pair your card with one of our Valentine’s day box ideas to surprise your friend with a thoughtful gift.
Be sure to remind those close to your heart what their friendship means to you with a few Valentine’s day quotes.
- “A friendship that like love is warm; A love like friendship, steady.” —Thomas Moore
- “One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.” —Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.” —William Arthur Ward
- “As good friends go, you really shine. Let’s be each other’s Valentine!” —Anonymous
- “The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it.” —Hubert H. Humphrey
- “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” —Helen Keller
- “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” —Henry Ford
- “Love is a friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It’s loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weakness.” —Ann Landers
- “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” —Jim Morrison
- “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Because of you, I laugh a little harder, cry a little less and smile a lot more. Happy Valentine’s Day!” —Anonymous
- “I have looked at you in millions of ways and I have loved you in each. Happy Valentine’s Day.” —Anonymous
- “Good friends are like the stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they’re always there.” —Anonymous
- “If there ever comes a day where we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” —Winnie The Pooh
- “Friendship gives wings to the heart as if there is no distance that can set them apart.” —Anonymous
Cute Valentine’s Day Quotes
Valentine’s day is symbolic of all things adorable. From heart shaped candies to fluffy life-sized teddy bears and Valentine’s cards, there may not be a more endearing holiday. This Valentine’s day, make your Valentine feel darling and dedicate a quote to him or her. The only thing better than a Valentine’s day message is a cute Valentine’s day message, right?
- “I love you in the morning and in the afternoon. I love you in the evening and underneath the moon.” —Anonymous
- “Life is full of lots of things that make it all worthwhile, but none is better than your little smile.” —Anonymous
- “Know what I like about you? Everything! Happy Valentine’s Day.” —Anonymous
- “You will forever be my always.” —Anonymous
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” —Dr. Seuss
- “Once in a while, in the middle of an ordinary life love gives us a fairytale.” —Anonymous
- “Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.” —Anonymous
- “In true love the smallest distance is too great and the greatest distance can be bridged.” —Hans Nouwens
- “You’re the jam!” —Anonymous
- “I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once.” —John Green
- “You are the brightest star, and I’m in love with who you are.” —White Lines & Red Lights
- “You are the person I never knew how to write, and this life is the story I have always wanted to tell.” —Tyler Knott Gregson
- “Unless you love someone, nothing else makes sense.” —E.E. Cummings
- “You are what I never knew I always wanted.” —Fools Rush in
- “For love, I’d do anything. For you, I’d do more.” —Anonymous
Valentine’s Day Quotes for You
Always remember to love yourself! These Valentine’s day quotes serve as a little reminder of how important it is to love yourself first.
- “Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?” —Anonymous
- “To love yourself is to understand you don’t need to be perfect to be good.” —Anonymous
- “Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.” —Anonymous
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the universe, deserve your love and affection.” —Buddha
- “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” —M. Scott Peck
- “Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” —Fred Rogers
- “When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.” —Diane Von Furstenberg
- “Dare to love yourself as if you were a rainbow with gold at both ends.” —Aberjhani
- “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” —Charles Bukowski
- “Be yourself. There is no one better.” —Anonymous
- “The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone who loves the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” —Carrie Bradshaw
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” —Oscar Wilde
- “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.” —Walt Disney
- “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” —Maya Angelou
Don’t forget to wish your Valentine a very happy Valentine’s Day! We’ve listed below some of our favorite messages to wish your loved one well in the coming year. Pick your favorite or use them to inspire a special Valentine’s wish of your very own.
- Wishing you happiness and love in the coming year!
- I miss and love you lots, and along with a happy Valentine’s Day, I wish you a wonderful year (with a few visits from me!)
- Wishing you well, Valentine. Hope you have a fantastic day, and can’t wait to get together to celebrate!
- Wishing you a Happy Valentine’s Day spent with all the ones you love—especially me!
- I wish you and all your loved ones a wonderful Valentine’s Day spent together. Hoping it’s full of chocolates, flowers, and lots of love!
- I wish you and your family a very happy Valentine’s Day! Spend this special time together and remind each other how much you’re appreciated!
- What a wonderful day full of sweets, flowers, and love. Wishing you all the best this Valentine’s Day.
- Such a wonderful day with so much love in the air. Wishing you plenty of love and celebration with your family!
- I wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day! The chocolates are coming later! (If I don’t eat them all first).
- Valentine’s day is a day meant to spent with those you love, so my wish for you is to come visit me!
- I wish you the most wonderful Valentine’s Day—I know mine is better thanks to you!
Looking for some special messages to add to your Valentine’s? We’ve got you covered. Check out some of our favorite (and silliest) Valentine’s day messages and saying below:
For Candy Valentines:
- Smarties: Who wouldn’t love a smartie like you?
- Chocolate: I love you a chocoLOT!
- 100 Grand Bar: Our friendship is worth a lot more than 100 Grand!
- Gummy Bears: Wishing you a bear-y sweet Valentine’s Day!
- Candy String Necklace: I’m not just stringing you along! Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Other Candy: You make my Valentine’s Day a whole lot sweeter!
For Non-candy Valentine’s:
- Highlighter: You’re the highlight to my day!
- Marker: Take this as a mark of our friendship!
- Pencil: You’re one sharp Valentines, thanks for being you!
- Eraser: Nothing could erase my love for you!
- Stickers: I sure am stuck on you! Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Cookie Cutter: You’re a cut above the rest, my friend!
Resources Related to What To Write In A Valentine’s Day Card
Your time and recognition won’t be forgotten by anyone who receives a heartfelt Valentine’s wish from you. This year share the love of the holiday with everyone close to you. Valentine’s day quotes serve as the perfect inspiration to help you get started on your messages and show those close to you just how much you care. Don’t forget to sign your card with love and deliver with care (and Valentine’s gifts!).
And if you liked this resource on Valentine’s Day quotes and you’re looking for similar resources, make sure to check out our additional Valentine’s Day content: