The holiday season, also known as the Christmas season happens annually from November to January. It incorporates many holidays of the year, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. During the holiday season (or just the holidays) there is a heightened peak for shopping activities and deals that occur leading into Christmas.
When Is the Holiday Season?
Celebrating the holiday season varies depending on religion, location, family traditions, and more. A list of the holidays celebrated through the U.S. during the winter season include:
- Thanksgiving – Celebrated as a U.S. non-religious holiday on the fourth Thursday of each November.
- Hanukkah – Celebrated as a Jewish holiday that occurs for eight days starting on the 25th day of Kislev on the Hebrew calendar. Though the dates change year to year, it usually occurs in November or December.
- Christmas – A Christian holiday celebrated on December 25th each year, with many families also celebrating the day before on Christmas Eve.
- Kwanzaa – An African-American holiday celebrated every year from December 26 to January 1.
- New Year’s – Global holiday celebrating the end of the current year and start of the new year, occurring on December 31st and January 1st. Some religions and cultures celebrate their new year according to different calendars, so not all celebrate on these dates.
Regardless of which holidays you and your family choose to celebrate, many include the same types of events and activities.
Giving Holiday Gifts
Gift-giving during the holidays is a tradition that many people participate in. Sales during the holidays are so big that companies offer special deals and promotions, including Black Friday sales and more.
The best holiday gifts make come in the form of personalized presents or custom gifts that show your sentiment. Since the holiday season includes time off of work for many employees, it’s a great time to spend with family and friends and offer gifts that show you care.
Sending Holiday Cards and Seasons Greetings
If you can’t be with your loved ones during the holidays, you can still offer a personal message through a holiday season’s greetings card. Many families send custom Christmas cards or holiday postcards to show their loved ones they’re thinking of them. Business holiday cards are equally as possible to reach out to coworkers and professional colleagues.
Holiday Activities and Celebrations
Even though there are many shared customs for each holiday, everyone tends to celebrate differently. Some families go on vacation during the holiday season, while others stay put and focusing on decorating their home and hosting others. Many holiday celebrations include special traditions for meals, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Nationwide in the U.S., cities, and neighborhoods put together community celebrations that may include parades, concerts, and festivals.
Preparing for the Holiday Season
Need tips on how to prepare for the holiday season? Follow these suggestions to get ready for the upcoming holidays.
1. Plan Ahead
Whether planning ahead means booking any upcoming trips or getting a head start on shopping for gifts, the holiday season would be a lot less stressful with the planning done early on. Find the best deals on gifts during the holiday season by looking for Black Friday deals.
2. Decorating Your Home
Getting into the holiday spirit is something that many people look forward to, and decorating your home can immediately put you in the holiday mood. Start by making your home cozy for the winter with custom fleece blankets or designing your own personalized candle.
3. Preparing for the New Year
With the holiday season craze ending, it’s hard to imagine starting a brand new year. Prepare for the new year after all the holidays with a new calendar to get a head start on new resolutions and plans for the year. Make a custom calendar with Shutterfly that fits your needs.