There is an indescribable amount of grief after losing a father. Losing a father often means losing a protector, a guiding hand, a best friend, and a superhero. But focusing on all the incredible memories you shared and the amazing man he was can help bring light into your darker days. We hope that the following miss you dad words, quotes, messages, and poems can help to ease your pain with the reminder of your happy memories together. Whether you’re building a memorial shadow box, capturing fond memories in a tribute photo book, or you’re simply looking for comfort, find our list of miss you dad quotes below.
- Miss You Dad Quotes
- Missing Dad Quotes From Daughter
- Missing Dad Quotes From Son
- Dad In Heaven Quotes
- Death Anniversary Message
- I Miss My Dad Poems
These general miss you dad quotes some from those who have felt the loss of a father and want to pass on their own words of comfort to those who need it. From sympathy gifts to Father’s Day gifts, you can use these quotes and captions will help you customize meaningful moments.
- “That man is a success – who has lived well, laughed often and loved much, who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of children, who has filled his niche and accomplished his task. who leaves the world better than he found it, who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it, who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had.” – Unknown
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could ever give another person. He believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
- “This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments – and you get the tears at the end, too.” – Harlan Coben
- “My appreciation for my father’s greatness cannot be measured.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “No matter how old we are, we still need our dads, and wonder how we’ll get by without them.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart.” – Jennifer Williamson
As a loving daughter, losing your father is an impossible thing to understand. If it’s recently happened to you or a loved one, you may be looking for words of comfort. We hope the following quotes help you in your time of loss, and if you’re looking for additional messages, look to our list of dad and daughter quotes.
- “Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.” – Unknown
- “Dad is and always will be my living, breathing superhero.” – Bindi Irwin
- “Everything I do in my life I do to make my mum and dad proud. I want to carry on in my dad’s footsteps and make sure that his legacy lives on forever.” – Bindi Irwin
- “The loss of my father will always sting. But now, everything that I do is in honor of him and celebrates his life.” – Adrienne C. Moore
- “There is no expiration date on the love between a father and his child.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “When I was a child, all problems had ended with a single word from my father. A smile from him was sunshine, his scowl a bolt of thunder. He was smart, and generous, and honorable without fail. He could exile a trespasser, check my math homework, and fix the leaky bathroom sink, all before dinner. For the longest time, I thought he was invincible. Above the petty problems that plagued normal people. And now he was gone.” – Rachel Vincent
- “You have been there for me, no matter what bad choices I might have made… you lovingly repaired my broken spirit, helped me plot a new course, and set me free to fly on my own once again. There is no greater love than that. You will always be special to me, and no matter where life takes me, I’ll remember you with love.” – Marilyn K. Deacon
- “To her, the name of father was another name for love.” – Fanny Fern
The pain of losing a father figure might feel overwhelming, but the strength passed on from father to son can help you survive it. These quotes highlight that passing of knowledge, wisdom, and strength:
- “My Father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kelland
- “Dad, wherever you are, you are gone but you will never be forgotten.” – Conrad Hall
- “My dad was my best friend and greatest role model. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend.” – Tiger Woods
- “I think about me and my dad taking a road trip from Phoenix to Nashville when I was 19. He’s no longer here with me, but I still drive that same 1994 Chevy truck. I never have bought a new car.” – Dierks Bentley
- “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain.” – Frank Lowy
- “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
The following quotes highlight the love between a father and child that still exists, even after he passes. Find them below:
- “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
- “No matter where I am, your spirit will be beside me. For I know that no matter what, you will always be with me.” – Tram-Tiara T. Von Reichenbach
- “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” – Winnie the Pooh
- “May each tear and each fond memory be a note of love rising to meet you.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “Deeply, I know this, that love triumphs over death. My father continues to be loved, and therefore he remains by my side.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “You will always be in my heart… because in there you’re still alive.” – Jamie Cirello
- “When I was little I bragged about my firefighting father: my father would go to heaven, because if he went to hell he would put out all the fires.” – Jodi Picoult
If you are struggling for words, and want to express the hurt of the loss of your father, try the following messages for a lost father.
- I keep thinking about you, Dad, even though it hurts. I’d give anything to relive those memories again.
- Dad, I’m so thankful for all the memories we shared together. I only wish you were here to make more.
- Not a day goes by that I don’t think about you. I wish I still had your wisdom to guide me through my everyday,
- Every day without you has been hard, but on this day especially I can’t help but think how much I wish you were here with me.
- You were the guiding light in my life, and today especially I’m reminded how lucky I was to have you for as long as I did. I love you to the moon and back.
- How lucky am I to have had a father so special that I miss you this much? As much as I’m hate not having you around, I’m happy to know you’re at peace.
- You may not be with me any more, but my love for you will never die. I miss you, Dad.
The following poems can be read for anything including a eulogy, a letter, or simply read to yourself for words of comfort.
“A Great Soul” by Maya Angelou
“A great soul
all the time.
A great soul
It brings us together
again and again.”
“There’s A Special Place In My Heart for Him” by Unknown
“There’s a special kind of feeling
When I think about you, Dad
It’s a pleasure to remember
All the happy times we’ve had
There’s a special kind of caring
That is meant for you alone
There’s a place somewhere
Within my heart
That only you can own
Missing you always,
Happy Father’s Day.”
“My Father, My Father” by Dakota Ellerton
“My father, my father,
I love he,
my father, my father,
made me see,
how beautiful this world really can be.
My father, my father,
said to me,
my daughter my daughter,
come see me,
I won’t be around forever, and I have things that must be.
My father, my father,
don’t die on me.”
“Away” by James Whitcomb Riley
“I cannot say and I will not say
That he is dead, he is just away.
With a cheery smile and a wave of hand
He has wandered into an unknown land;
And left us dreaming how very fair
Its needs must be, since he lingers there.
And you-oh you, who the wildest yearn
From the old-time step and the glad return-
Think of him faring on, as dear
In the love of there, as the love of here
Think of him still the same way, I say;
He is not dead, he is just away.”
“Moments Before” by Kelly Horn
“Moments before our walk that afternoon,
I realized the path ended too soon.
Not long enough to hold his hand,
this amazing person, this loving man.
Not long enough to engage his eyes
and remember his always brimming with pride.
Not long enough to stand by his side,
as he was by mine after every rough tide.
Not long enough to laugh with him still,
after every bad joke,
after every tough hill.
Not long enough to walk with this man,
who has taught me to be the person I am.
Not long enough as we walked by his wife,
to thank them both for my wonderful life.
In all the walks I’ve taken in my life,
first as a girl and now as a wife,
I’ll remember that walk I took with my father
and always wish it could have been longer.”
Additional Miss You Dad Resources
We hope that this complete list of miss you dad quotes helped you or a loved one find some comfort in a difficult time. If you have a recent loved one who lost a father figure and you’re looking for additional resources, please consider the following sympathy and condolence guides: