Valentine’s Day is a global holiday celebrating love and romance. Though it originated as a Christian holiday, it’s now more associated with secular celebrations and gift-giving. Valentine’s Day isn’t a public holiday in the U.S. or other countries, but it’s commonly celebrated at schools and at work with festivities, candy, Valentine’s Day decor, and card exchanges.
When Is Valentine’s Day?
Valentine’s Day is on February 14 every year. Since the date is always the same, Valentine’s Day falls on different days of the week every year. Because Valentine’s Day isn’t a public holiday, businesses keep their same hours and most people do not take time off work. Instead, friends and family celebrate by giving gifts, going out to eat, or taking weekend trips.
Valentine’s Day Background
Valentine’s Day likely originated as far back as the Middle Ages as a Christian holiday that celebrated Saint Valentine. There are a few different beliefs about the history of Saint Valentine, but each recognizes him as a martyr that was known for romance and love. Most historians believe that Valentine’s Day was established to honor him while also Christianizing a different pagan holiday that was celebrated in February.
Valentine’s Day Gifts
Though every day is a chance to connect with and love your significant other, Valentine’s Day lets you put the time aside to show them you care and offer a present that brightens their day. You can offer a simple Valentine’s Day gift like Valentine’s Day flowers or create something personalized that your partner can cherish forever. Some popular Valentine’s Day ideas for gifts include:
- Custom jewelry with your anniversary date or a special message. Engraved necklaces make great Valentine’s Day gifts for her.
- You can’t go wrong with a beautiful bouquet of Valentine’s Day flowers and some delicious chocolate to give them a sweet treat on V-Day.
- Personalized barware can be great Valentine’s Day ideas for him. Consider gifting custom pint glasses or beer steins with your favorite photos together.
- A beautiful framed print always makes a great Valentine’s Day gift, especially if you have special travel photos or memories you want to turn into a keepsake.
Though Valentine’s is still all about love, it’s grown to include the love between your family and friends. Gift a special Valentine’s Day card to all your loved ones to show them you care. Happy Valentine’s Day cards are a simple way to brighten someone’s day, especially if they don’t usually celebrate Valentine’s Day. Consider personalizing your Valentine’s cards with special photos and happy memories.
Valentine’s Day Date Ideas
Because Valentine’s Day is all about love and romance, it’s a big day for dates. Oftentimes, planning something special for you and your partner can be just as special if not more so than a gift exchange. If you’re struggling with what to do for Valentine’s Day this year, consider these popular options:
- Plan a romantic picnic in a park or nearby destination
- Eat out at a restaurant you’ve always wanted to go to or a favorite place you both love – just remember to make your reservation in advance!
- Cook dinner together at home and pick a movie you both love
- Take a weekend trip without too much planning so you can relax and spend time together