Throughout the holiday season, family and friends travel near and far to spend time together and build special memories. And gathering around the table is a natural part of those festivities. By creating a beautiful space for your loved ones to come together and share in each other’s company, you’re giving them one of the best gifts of the season.
To help get you ready for entertaining and celebrating, we’re sharing three Christmas table decoration ideas that will spark your imagination.
From cheery decor to earthy-inspired vibes, we have Christmas table decorations for every style and celebration. By using our guide, you’ll have a room bursting with festive spirit and plenty of love.
Once you’ve reviewed the Christmas table decorating ideas below, select decor pieces to give your decorations a personal touch.
Bold and Beautiful Table Setting
Heighten the mood with bold and beautiful Christmas table decorations. Involve cheerful colors to make the whole room burst with energy. Follow our style tips to entertain in style this holiday season.
Style Tip 1: Include Fresh Greenery
Let your greenery take center stage. Place garland or branches along the center of your design to build structure and allow for plenty of colorful accents.
Style Tip 2: Paint Your Ornaments
Gather a collection of paint colors to coat your plastic ornaments. To help with choosing colors, think about your other table items, like plates, silverware and placemats. Tie your decor together by using similar tones.
Style Tip 3: Choose a Neutral Tablecloth
With a colorful scheme, you’ll want to select a tablecloth that’s neutral like white or cream. This softer background color allows your candles, ornaments and metallic accents to be the main focal points. A neutral tablecloth is versatile, too—it can be reused when hosting other holiday celebrations.
Style Tip 4: Remember To Add Accent Pieces.
Ensure your table decorations have character by incorporating unique, small details. Consider including delicate accents like a flower petal on each place setting. Other stunning accent items? Metallic utensils, patterned placements and colorful glassware.
Vibrant colors almost instantly boost the mood. Go bold this holiday season and let your table make a true impression.
Earthy Inspired Table Decor
Natural and elegant, green and gold decor offers your table an earthy feel. By incorporating a few of the key elements, you’ll create a gathering place that’s both warm and inviting.
Style Tip 1: Begin With a Table Runner
Place a table runner down the middle of your table as the foundation for your decorations. Table runners build cohesion and add an artistic feel. Consider a table runner that’s personalized with a photo or name initial.
Style Tip 2: Include Atypical Pieces
Within your green and metallic color palette, incorporate pieces that are not typical to Christmas decorations (think: giraffes—instead of trees and reindeer). Unique decor items bring in your personality and add a bit of festive fun. If you are looking for more DIY decor ideas, check out our DIY fall decor post which displays unique bottle and candle ideas for the table.
Style Tip 3: Accent With Candles
If you’re decorating a Christmas table, candles are nearly a must-have. They bring in a warm component and add dimension to your design, especially if you use ones of varying sizes and styles.
Add personalized candles to make your decor extra special.
Style Tip 4: Add in Pieces With Texture
Amp up the texture in your arrangement by adding unique utensils, pops of color and patterned napkins. These pieces infuse style and personality into your decor. Consider items you have around your home or have fun shopping for pieces that perfectly match your decorative vision.
As an alternative for building texture, slide a patterned placemat under each setting (instead of using patterned napkins).
With your table runner pulling your decorations together, have fun adding eclectic pieces to your design. Keep them in the green, gold and metallic color scheme to maintain cohesion.
Merry and Bright Table Decor
Brighten your entire table with beautiful, festive decor. But no need to overcomplicate: simple designs ensure your table doesn’t feel too cluttered. Recreate these merry and bright table decorations by incorporating traditional elements while still accenting with unique details.
Style Tip 1: Incorporate Traditional Christmas Colors.
Create a foundation for your table decor by pulling in the traditional colors: red and green. But don’t be shy to put your own spin on them, like with a lighter shade of green or a softer red. Simple items, such as fresh flowers and dusty miller, make for rich decor that’s not overpowering.
Style Tip 2: Add Dimension With Vases and Jars.
Build dimension into your Christmas table decorations by using varying jars and vases. The size variation helps to create a visually appealing spread. Mix and match your shapes, too, by including pieces like circular jars and taller stemmed vases.
Style Tip 3: Accent With Metallics
Give your decor a sophisticated look by incorporating metallic details in your placemats and plateware. The shimmery touch brings in a classy feel. Even a gold-trimmed glass or plate adds a bit of zest to your decorations.
Style Tip 4: Include Finer Details
Sometimes the tiniest details add the most life to a table. Consider smaller accents like a twig of eucalyptus and sweet Nutcracker ornaments to adorn each place setting. Your guests will appreciate the little things you added to make the table feel extra festive. If you want to personalize each plate, add personalized salt dough ornaments, we’ve included a tutorial.
Style Tip 5: Create a Snowy Scene
Design your own winter wonderland by filling jars with fake snow and frosting tree figurines with snow spray. For beautiful glasses to use in your display, be sure to personalize your own jars.
No matter how you decide to incorporate each piece of decor, you’ll end up with a festive table that’s ready for every holiday meal.
Wait…there are 43 more Christmas table ideas!
If you are still looking for more ideas on how to decorate your holiday table this year, check out our list below. We’ve added three categories: modern, traditional and metallics. You will find items such as DIY ideas, centerpieces and tablecloth ideas.
- Frosty Blue Holiday Tablescape by A Pop of Pretty
- Boho Inspired Glass in Grey Likes Weddings
- Neon Pine Cones by Camille Styles
- Ethereal Burgundy Winter Inspiration in Green Wedding Shoes
- DIY Glass Reindeer Centerpiece by Everyday Dishes
- Farmhouse Christmas by Hello Allison Blog
- Wine Bottle Floating Candles by Homey Oh My
- Christmas Kisses by It All Started with Paint
- Teal Christmas in Laura Trevey
- Origami Trees by Madame Citron
- Ceramic Pears in Nesting Story
- Gold Dipped Bottle Brush Trees by Studio DIY
- Christmas Dining Room by Swoon Worthy
- Miniature Evergreen Christmas Tree by The Golden Sycamore
- Macaron Christmas Tree Vignette by Thirsty for Tea
- Christmas Lyric Table Runner by View from the Fridge
- Farmhouse Christmas by Craftivity Designs
- Ornament Bouquet by Design Improvised
- Evergreen Table Runner by Home is Where the Boat is
- Green Wreaths in Laura Trevey
- DIY Cranberry Wreath Place Cards by Say Yes
- Neutral and Natural Tablescape by Simple Bites
- Striped Candlesticks by Simply Kierste
- One Item Centerpiece by Fynes Designs
- Orange Clove Centerpiece by Miss Molly Vintage
- DIY Sweater Centerpiece by Sweet Parrish Place
- Easy Wreathe Centerpiece by Take Time for Style
- Sparkle Snow Texture Balls by The Casual Craftlete
- Snow Globes by The Girl Inspired
- Miniature Evergreen Christmas Centerpiece by The Golden Sycamore
- Winter Wonderland Christmas by The House of Smiths
- Farmhouse Candle Style by The Rustic Life
- Metallic Accents by A Spoon Full of Sugar
- DIY Jingle Bell Wine Glass by Boxwood Avenue
- DIY Christmas Metallic Centerpiece by Don’t Call Your Mum
- Marbled Black And White Christmas Crackers by Fall for DIY
- Painted Leaf Napkin Rings by Honest to Nod
- Holiday Wine Crafting by Hostess with the Mostest
- Gold Pine Placeholders by Squirrelly Minds
- Naturally Glamorous Centerpiece by The Sweet Escape
- White Christmas by White and Shabby
- Party Popper Placecards by You Are My Fave
- Gold Holiday Party by Inspired by This
Entertaining during the holiday season is a special opportunity. You’ll create beautiful memories for years to come. Make your time together extra meaningful with a personalized glass serving platter.