Sisters are there for you through the thick and thin, they laugh with you during the good times and cry with you in the bad times, and sometimes they can even make you a little crazy. A sister is one of the most important people in your life, so it’s vital to show her you care. You’ve been together for plenty of holidays over the years, but this National Sister Day, make sure to take some time to celebrate your sister and everything she means to you.
- When is National Sister Day?
- What is National Sister Day?
- How to Celebrate Sisters Day
- National Sister Day Quotes
- National Sister Day Pictures
- Social Media: Sister Memes
- National Sister Day Hashtag
National Sister Day, or Sisters Day, is celebrated the first Sunday of every August in the United States.
National Sisters Day is a celebration of appreciation for sisters and their special bond. Whether your sister is biological or not, sisterhood is a special relationship. Some people talk or spend time with their sister every day, while others may have less time to spend together. Either way, this Sunday in August is the perfect chance to reconnect or celebrate with your loved one.
There’s no particular way you have to celebrate National Sister Day, except for letting your sister know she’s loved. Some people choose to set aside some time in their day to celebrate, either with an outing or fun activity. Others find it valuable to talk to their sister over the phone or Skype, or to send a card. And some even take the national holiday as a chance to make amends for recent disagreements. Whichever way you choose to celebrate, make sure it’s personalized so you sister feels the love. If you need inspiration for some sisterly celebration check out our quote, photo, and social media ideas below. Or, if you’re looking for gift inspiration, check out our resource on fun gift ideas for your sister.
Sometimes bringing up an old inside joke or special family saying is a great way to let your sister know you’re thinking about her. If you want something different, you could also write her a card filled with meaningful quotes about your special bond. If you’re needing some examples of sisterly material, check out some of our favorites below.
Sweet Sisterhood Quotes
- “Sister. 1) A best friend for life. 2) Player of dress up. 3) Teller of stories. 4) Keeper of secrets.” –Unknown
- “There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you.” –Unknown
- “The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other.” –Unknown
- “Having a sister is like having a best friend you can’t get rid of. You know whatever you do, they’ll still be there.” –Amy Li
- “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” –Marion Garretty
- “Our roots may say that we’re sisters, but our hearts know that we’re friends.” –Unknown
Empowering Sisterhood Quotes
- “Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within a family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” –Margaret Mead
- “Sisterhood is powerful.” –Robin Morgan
- “Sisters share grown-up dreams and childhood memories.” –Unknown
- “There’s nobody in the world that knows me better than my sister.” –Tia Mowry
- “There is no better friend in this world than a sister, and no sister in the world is better than you.” –Unknown
Funny Sisterhood Quotes
- “I grin because you are my sister. I laugh because I know there’s nothing you can do about it.” –Unknown
- “You sister always knows when you’ve been bad or good – more than Santa Claus ever could.” –Unknown
- “Sisters teach us about cooperation, fairness, caring and kindness. Oftentimes, they teach us these lessons the hard way.” –Unknown
- “Being sisters means you always have back up.” –Unknown
One of the best ways to celebrate the many years of special memories shared with your sister is with photos. This National Sisters Day, dig deep to find those old photos that you cherish. Send them to your sister the day of with a special message, or go a step further and make something wonderful with them. Consider making a photo book or something smaller like a set of photo mugs with your childhood photos. Or you can make your photo gift from scratch using our resource on DIY photo album ideas. These are special gifts that your sister is sure to love. If you don’t have time to make the photos into a gift, share them on social media and tag your sister. Just make sure you don’t post anything too embarrassing.
Memes are a great way to send something fun your sister’s way on the national sisterly holiday. A meme is a humorous image, gif, or text sent over the internet, which makes it both popular and easy to include in your celebration. You can either take a still from your favorite sisterhood-related show or movie, a photo of your sister, or alter an already existing meme. Whatever you do, make sure it’s meant to celebrate the bond you share with your sister more than anything else.
Hashtags can be added on to any other social media plans you have for Sisters Day. Just post your favorite photo or photos of you and your sister and add the hashtag #NationalSisterDay. For more inspiration, you can check out what other people posted in the past by searching the hashtag on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. And don’t forget to tag your sister so she can see how much you appreciate her.
Happy National Sister Day
Whatever your plans are, enjoy spending some quality time with your loved one. Whether you see each other regularly or just during the holidays, this is a great time to touch base and reconnect. The memories you make with her will last a lifetime.