Family photos are unique opportunities to capture memories of loved ones, frozen in time. For years to come, they’re sure to be looked back on fondly as a reminder of the many memories shared together. Therefore it’s important to make sure your family shows up to the photoshoot dressed to impress. Making sure everyone looks their best is key to making sure everyone looks back happily at a framed family photo, instead of with regret. But there’s so much that goes into planning family photo outfits. From the hairstyles to keeping clothes clean on little ones, trying to color coordinate your family can feel like a hassle. That’s why we’re here to help. So what are the best colors to wear for family pictures? Look below for our answer, along with a little outfit inspiration.
- What Are The Best Colors To Wear For Family Pictures?
- Family Photo Color Schemes
- Best Colors To Wear For Professional Photos
- Best Colors For Family Pictures Outside
- Seasonal Colors for Family Picture Outfits
The best colors to wear for family pictures are colors that match your family’s personality, photo surroundings and season, and that match with your home decor. Too bold of colors often stick out as visually distracting, taking away from the subjects. Similarly, you may not be happy with your family photo if colors don’t match your home decor cohesively enough. Make sure you plan ahead when picking your colors because the perfect colors produce beautiful final results. And if you need additional advice on outfit styles, look to our guide on what to wear for family photos.
There’s plenty of common color combinations, leaving plenty of options for the perfect family photo. So if you’re looking for the right outfit color combination that will make your framed prints pop, check out the popular options below:
- Denim and Tan
- Brown and Maroon
- Denim, Yellow, Crimson
- Navy, Tan, Cream
- Glitter and White
- Crimson, Tan, Denim
- Red, Grey, Black
- Navy and Crimson
- Blush and Teal
- Blush and White
- Light Blue, Tan, White
- Navy, Yellow, White
- Tan and White
- Orange and Teal
- Light Blue, Tan, White
- Blue, Green, Yellow
When it comes to professional photos, the most important thing to keep in mind with colors is that the focus is kept on your family. You also want your chosen color palette to set the right tone for your professional photos. Read some of our top tips below before your photo session:
- Black and dark color combinations work perfect for more formal, indoor photography sessions. Keep this in mind when planning your family’s outfits.
- Do your best to avoid patterned colors in clothing, as this looks distracting and at times, overly casual.
- When dressing children, make sure they’re not overly uncomfortable in their chosen outfit. If they’re unhappy, it’ll show through in the family picture.
For Black And White Family Photos
If you’re trying to find the perfect color combination and style for a formal black and white family photo, make sure to check out our guide on the dress code for a black and white photoshoot.
If your family photoshoot is planned for the outdoors, there are a few more details to keep in mind when deciding on your color palette. We’ve included some of our best tips on colors for outside family pictures below, just for you.
- White dress for beach pictures: A white and tan or muted color dress code works perfectly for family photos taken at the beach. Just make sure that nothing gets ruined from ocean spray or sand!
- Neutral colors: Natural or neutral colors are always a safe bet when it comes to taking photos in the outdoors. If you’re stumped and scouring through your closet, try finding matching pieces of white and tan.
- Bright pop of color: Bright pops of colors can add personality into family photos, but you want to make sure that they don’t distract from the subjects. And try to stay away from neon colors in general.
- Coordinating family sweaters: If you’re planning on a winter-themed photo shoot, coordinated family sweaters can make a great touch. Just make sure the patterns aren’t too overwhelming.
- Don’t match too much! Matching is great– until it isn’t. Make sure that your family doesn’t look exactly the same by including different types of clothing and different shades from the same color palette.
What season are you planning your family portrait for? Whether you’re looking for Christmas outfit ideas or summertime colors, we’ll help you navigate all the colors of the seasons with the lists below.
Spring Family Picture Ideas
These spring picture ideas will help your family look picture perfect and ready for the new year. Check out our top picks below:
- Pale peach
- Blush pink
- Mint green
- Baby blue
- Light gray
- Soft yellow
- Spring green
Family Picture Outfits Summer
Summer weather comes with a whole new color scheme and dress code, so make sure to stick to the color schemes below when picking out your family outfits.
- Bold Red
- Bright Orange
- Bold Pink
- Royal Blue
Fall Family Picture Outfits
The best fall family pictures make perfect photo books to keep forever and look back on. Plan ahead with the following color schemes that suit the changing colors just right.
- Mustard Yellow
- Burnt Orange
- Dark Shades of Green
- Dark Purple
Family Christmas Pictures Outfits
Looking for just the right family Christmas gift? Look at the winter color combinations below. You can use them to create the perfect family photo to turn into your best photo gift yet. Or better yet, to use for your annual family holiday card.
- Medium to Dark Gray
- Ruby Red
- Dark Purple
- Emerald Green
Resources Related to Best Colors for Family Pictures
Did this guide completely answer your question, “what are the best colors to wear for family pictures?” If you found it helpful, make sure to check out our family Christmas cards to find the best design to fit your family portrait.