You never remember how much work goes into creating your yearly Christmas cards until you’re right in the middle of it. Maybe you forgot to take a family photo this year, or you realized the ones you did take came out blurry. Maybe a family member is overseas and can’t make it in time for the family photo. May the family dog won’t sit still. Whatever the reason, those imperfect photo cards can easily become a standout favorite in the years to come. Anything can happen– and that’s something to celebrate. We’re sharing our top picks for funny family Christmas cards because we know that when it comes to celebrating what makes your family unique– anything flys.
- Funny Family Christmas Card Ideas
- How to Create Funny Family Photo Christmas Cards
- Funny Family Christmas Card Quotes
From random candid photos to funny faces, the following funny family Christmas card ideas can be turned into the ultimate Season’s Greetings. Pick your favorite designs from those below to try with your family, or use them to inspire ideas all your own.
1. All Giggles
The easiest way to ensure that your little one is showing an authentic smile on the Christmas card? Keep them laughing! Turn your family photoshoot into a fun day full of games and fun activities.
2. Cooking Up a Mess
If you’re not afraid to get a little messy in your Christmas cards this year, consider taking your family photos while baking holiday treats. Not only will the fun activity light up your photos, but you end up with some delicious goodies when you’re done!
3. A Very Serious Affair
Take a formal photo idea or pose, and have fun with it. For example, use a recent wedding as an opportunity to make a few silly faces for a funny family Christmas card idea everyone is sure to love.
4. What’re You Staring At?
Showcase your family’s silly side with a fun prop like these fake glasses. Not only do they make your family photo stand out from the rest, but yonder children will have a harder time looking grumpy while they enjoy the fun playtime.
5. All Laughs, No Tears
While out spending quality time with the family, make sure a camera is nearby. You never know when the perfect opportunity for a family Christmas photo will come up, and it’s guaranteed to have the kids smiling.
6. Barking Up the Wrong Christmas Tree
Get the family pooch involved in this year’s holiday card. Purchase matching hats for the whole family and incorporate a few festive decorations to help make the photo pop. And if you’re having trouble getting the dog to look in the right direction, try holding a treat above the camera.
7. Silly Faces and Season’s Greetings
Sometimes the best Christmas photos are the simple moments of silliness on an average day. So if the kids love taking selfies, consider picking one of those to showcase in your family Christmas card.
8. It Runs in the Family
Get Grandma and Grandpa involved in this funny photo idea. Introduce them to a new trend or style, place, or activity– and make sure to document the process. Not only will your grandparents love getting involved, but you’ll have some great photos to show off to your loved ones.
9. Hugs, Kisses & a Little Air
Smother the kids in hugs, kisses, and lots of love for a candid photo that makes everyone who sees your Christmas cards loud-out-loud. Just don’t be surprised if the older kids look embarrassed by the extra affection.
10. Hawaiian Shirts are Always in Season
Hawaiian shirts and beach photos are always in season and don’t let Christmas tell you otherwise. Dress to impress with your little family for a photo that stays cool all year long.
11. Families that Dress Together, Stay Together
Pull out your best (or most embarrassing) sweaters and have the whole family dress up for this funny family Christmas card idea. And when it comes to this play on ironic family portraits– the cheesier the smile, the better.
12. Play Time Never Ends
Have a puppy that won’t sit still? Set up an automatic timer and get on with playtime. Not only will you capture some super silly moments, but you won’t have to face the boundless energy of a dog after cutting playtime short to take photos.
13. Unprepared for Santa
Don’t feel like smiling for this year’s Christmas card? No problem. Create an ironic juxtaposition of holiday cheer, Christmas decorations, and your (or your dog’s) grinch-like attitude.
14. Christmas Smooches
You know just how cute and silly your babies can be, and you want the whole world to know. Or at the very least the loved ones on your Christmas mailing list. Photograph their cute faces, giggles, and baby kisses for this fun card idea.
15. Chalk it Up to Creativity
If you live somewhere where you’re likely to see snow for the holidays, use it for your own seasonal background. Find fun Holiday decorations and pose your family however you like.
16. Feeling the Christmas Spirit
Can’t seem to get the kids to cooperate together in one photo? Photograph your children separately, when they’re able to have a little fun. This photo idea captures the joys and stress of the Christmas season perfectly, making it an excellent funny Christmas card idea.
17. Sweaters and Snow
Create a festive photoshoot for this Year’s Christmas card. To make it extra special, include fun props such as speech bubbles, Santa hats, fake beards, and anything in between. And don’t forget your Christmas sweaters.
18. Family Fun for Christmas
Being all dressed up for Christmas portraits is so last year. For this year’s Christmas cards, stay comfy and feature a more relaxed look that lets you express your funny side.
19. Jump for Joy
Just because your an adult, doesn’t mean you have to be all grown up. Remind your loved ones that Christmas is all about embracing your childhood spirit with this Christmas card idea.
20. Happy Pawlidays
For this funny Christmas idea, you’ll need pet costumes, plenty of treats, and a lot of patience. Set the pets up next to your Christmas tree and take as many photos as possible of your fur babies dressed in their Christmas best.
21. All Fun and Snow Play
Break out the snow gear, sweaters, and games for a photoshoot to bring out the biggest smiles in your little ones. Then once you’re done, make a snow day out of it.
Adventures with family, such as a road trip, often make the best opportunities for a family photo. Just pair the photo with a festive holiday card design for something you’ll treasure for years to come.
Found the perfect ideas and ready to start creating your very own Christmas photo cards? If so, follow the directions below to start creating something special. And if you want even more help when making your cards, visit our complete Christmas card guide.
- Choose a Family Photo that Represents You Best. Or, if you don’t have anything you want to use yet, plan a time to take a new photo. Schedule a family portrait during a time where you won’t feel rushed or pressed for time. Prepare outfits for everyone ahead of time, and pick out a few props or poses you might want to try out. For more specific advice, visit our resource on family portrait ideas.
- Pick Out Your Favorite Card Design. Pick out a holiday card design that matched your family’s personality as well as the photos you’re planning on using. Remember that some designs are customizable so you can make your card truly unique.
- Upload Your Photos. Ready to start creating? Upload your favorite funny family Christmas photos into your account, and then arrange them within your card.
- Review Your Card. Done creating? Make sure to review the preview for your Christmas card. And don’t forget to double-check the spelling, the back of the card, custom envelopes and other added elements before finishing.
- Order Away! Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to fill the envelopes and mail them out once they arrive.
Looking for the perfect Holiday card quotes to go on your funny Christmas cards? Look no further than the list below. Or, if you want additional inspiration, make sure to visit our full guide on Christmas card puns.
- “Christmas: the only time of year you can sit in front of a dead tree eating candy out of socks.” – Anonymous
- “Christmas is a time when everybody wants his past forgotten and his present remembered.” – Phyllis Diller
- “You have such a pretty face; you should be on a Christmas Card!” – Buddy the Elf
- “Let’s be naughty and save Santa the trip.”– Gary Allan
- “Santa Claus has the right idea: visit people only once a year.” – Victor Borge
- “Nothing’s as mean as giving a little child something useful for Christmas.” – Kin Hubbard
- “A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.” – Garrison Keillor
- “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas. But if the white runs out, I’ll drink the red.” – Anonymous
- “Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.” – Dave Barry
- “Some people are born for Halloween, and some are just counting the days until Christmas.” – Stephen Graham Jones
- “You know you’re getting old when Santa starts looking younger.” – Robert Paul
- “Santa! Oh my God! Santa’s Coming! I know him! I know him!” – Buddy the Elf
Resources Related to Funny Family Christmas Cards
If you liked this resource on funny family Christmas cards and you’re looking for more, we have you covered. Make sure to visit our related resources below: