Last Updated: Dec 5, 2016
It’s easy to edit and upload photos to Instagram, but it can be tricky to save those photos to your phone or computer. This can be a problem if you’re planning to delete your account and need copies of your images or simply want to print your images. If you want backups of all your Instagram shots, here’s how to save pictures from Instagram to your phone and your computer.
Saving Photos on a Smartphone
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- If you have an iPhone, click on the gear icon on the top right corner of your screen. If you have an Android phone, click on the icon with three vertical dots, also located at the top of your screen. These icons will bring you to the ‘Options’ page.
- Scroll down until you see ‘Save Original Photos,’ and turn this setting on. When this setting is on, every time you post a photo to Instagram, it will be saved to your Photos app.
Saving to Shutterfly
- Find the Shutterfly app in the Apple or Android store.
- Tap the download button.
- Once downloaded, open the app.
- Link the app to your Photos app by going to ‘Photos’ and selecting ‘Allow Access’ next to the iPhone option. If Instagram saves as an album in your Photos app (see instructions above), those images will appear as well.
- After you hit ‘OK,’ it will auto-sync all future Instagram images to the app.
Saving to a Computer
- Instagram does not allow you to directly download photos from their website, but you can get a link to your photo from your profile page’s HTML code. To get this link, begin by logging onto your Instagram profile.
- Select the photo you want to save, and then right-click on the image.
- Choose ‘View Page Source.’ You will be taken to a page of code.
- Click ‘Control + F’ if you have a PC or ‘Command + F’ if you have a Mac, and search for ‘jpg’. The first highlighted link is to your your photo.
- Copy everything from ‘https:// to .jpg.’
- Paste the link into a new window, and click ‘Enter’. Your photo will appear.
- Right-click, and click ‘Save Image As.’
- Choose the name for your photo, and save it to your Documents.
If you’ve been wondering how to save Instagram photos, these tips will help you. When you save your photos to your phone, computer or a backup service, you won’t ever have to worry about losing your Instagram images. If you’re looking for secure, worry-free saving that include helpful filtering and instant printing of your favorite Instagram photos, check out the Shutterfly app. Whether you are organizing your photos on your iphone or generally organizing all your digital photos, take a look at our additional guides below.