Whether your significant other is about to go on deployment or your best friend is heading out for a long trip, distance can be difficult on a relationship. Luckily, recent technology helps to bridge the gap and make the transition a little easier. However, if you’re looking to give the other person a special reminder of your love for them, you might consider giving them “open when letters.” These pre-delivered letters enable you to be there for them when the distance gets hard. Check out our open when letters ideas and examples below to get started.
- Open When Letters Rules
- How To Write Open When Letters For Boyfriend
- How To Write Open When Letters For Best Friend
- Open When Letters Examples
- Other Open When Letter Ideas
Open When Letters Rules
In order to properly pull off your open when letters, both you and your loved one will need to understand the rules. Once you understand the basic rules behind open when letters, you’ll be able to make them with total creative freedom. The rules are as follows:
- No early peeking. Opening the cards early will spoil the surprise and you’ll regret it later when they’re truly needed.
- Only open the letter when it applies. Don’t open your “open when you’re happy” letter just because you’re bored. And definitely don’t open the “open when you need cheering up” letter unless you’re having a bad day. Otherwise you’ll miss out later when they’re wanted at the right time.
- Don’t show the letters to others. Someone made these letters specially for you, after all.
- Try not to open more than (X) letters a week. You don’t want to run out too early! Plus it’s fun to look forward to something special each week. However, if you’re having a hard week and truly need an extra letter, you’re allowed to break this rule.
- Save the letters. You might want to read them again later, so make sure to bring them back with you. And if there are any letters you don’t get to, bring them home to open when the time is right.
How To Write Open When Letters For Boyfriend
Long distance relationship can be difficult. But giving your significant other a box of open when letters can help to carry them through the tough days and make you feel extra connected on the good ones. Just make sure that you craft according to the type of trip the person will be on. Decide how many letters to send and what to include in them by considering how long they’ll be away for and how light they have to pack. For example, if they’re going on deployment, light letters will likely be best. If you’re leaving them behind as you head to a trip instead, you can leave them larger letters or small gifts. Whatever you decide, make sure to check out our list of love quotes when writing your open when letters.
How To Write Open When Letters For Best Friend
If your best friend is about to move for work, school, or go on a trip, you’re sure to miss them. However, including a stack of open when letters for their farewell gift will help keep the two of you close. Try to imagine all the times when they might want or need a letter and make sure to write one for each scenario. Include fun things like cute stickers, treats, best friends quotes, and small gifts with your letters. And lastly, remind them of how much you care about them and of all the special memories you’ve shared before and will share in the future.
Open When Letters Examples
The following open when letter samples include popular topics to give your loved one. Write something from the heart and include a special gift to make your letters stand out. Make sure to check out our gifts by recipient for help.
Open When You Miss Me
Write a heartfelt letter that takes your loved one on a trip down memory lane. Include your favorite memories, all the reasons you love them, and all the places you want to take them when they’re back. Consider writing a poem or haiku, drawing something sweet or silly for them, or including a photo.
Open When You Need A Laugh
As difficult as it make seem to try to cheer someone up who’s far away, this letter can help. Include funny photos of the two of you, jokes, or draw a silly cartoon to brighten their spirits. Check out our guide on how to cheer someone up for additional ideas.
Open When You Need Motivation
Whether it’s been a tough day at work or things just aren’t going their way that day, your loved one will need your words of encouragement. Write a letter with your most motivational quotes, or make a list of all the qualities you admire about them. Remind them of all the things you know they’re great at, and you’re sure to brighten their day.
Open When You’re Stressed
Stress comes and goes, but it’s always nice to have someone to lean on when times get tough. Include the lyrics to their favorite song or a include the recipe to their favorite home cooked meal so they can have a taste of home. Plus, don’t forget to include a few of our favorite inspirational quotes about life.
Open When You Need To Smile
You know better than anyone how to make your loved one smile. Include your favorite photo of the two of you, or print out a special photo of your own smile. Include it in a letter that lists all the things about them that make you happy, or tell them about something that recently made you think of them.
Open When You First Receive These Letters
This letter is the very first letter they’ll open, so you’ll want to make sure it also includes the rules for the rest of your letters. Keep the note positive, and remind them of all the amazing things they’re about to do while away. Finally, consider including a customized calendar that will help them decide when to open certain letters.
Other Open When Letter Ideas
Looking for additional open when letter ideas? From a sleepless night to a missed hug, the following open when letter topics will help you be there for your loved one when you’re needed most.
- Open When It Rains
- Open When You Have a Rough Day at Work
- Open When You’re Disappointed
- Open When You Can’t Stay Focused
- Open When You Feel Lonely
- Open When You Doubt Yourself
- Open When You’re Having a Lazy Sunday
- Open When You Want to Cry
- Open On Your Birthday
- Open On My Birthday
- Open On Our Anniversary
- Open After We’ve Said Goodbye
- Open After The First Day
- Open After The First Week
- Open After The First Month
- Open On The Last Day
- Open When You Need a Hug
- Open When You Can’t Sleep
- Open When It’s (Holiday)
- Open When You’re Bored
- Open When You Find Something that Reminds You of Me
- Open When We’ve Had a Fight
- Open When You’re Sick
- Open When You’re Homesick
Additional Resources for Open When Letter Topics
If you liked this guide on how to write open when letters, and it’s inspired you to write your own, make sure to check out our personalized stationery. Additional related guides include: