There’s few things, if anything, more painful than the passing of a pet. Our furry, feathered, or scaled best friends are there with us through tough and happy times. They’re there to comfort us, to love us, and even to protect us. And still, they never ask for anything in return. So if you’ve recently lost a pet, you may be looking for some words of comfort. We want to help. That’s why we’ve compiled a complete list of quotes about pet loss in the sections below.
- How to Use Comforting Words For Loss Of Pet
- Loss Of A Pet Quotes
- Sympathy Quotes For Loss Of Pet
- Inspirational Quotes About Losing A Pet
- Pet Memorial Quotes
If a loved one has recently suffered the loss of a beloved pet, you may be looking for the right words to say your condolences. The best way to write a sympathy message to a loved one is to find the write comforting words for your relationship and to let them know you’re there to support them. It’s best to stay as respectful as possible and to refrain from trying to make light of the loss or to make any assumptions of their situation. Your goal should be for your loved one to know you’re there for them if they need it. To get started, you can use the quotes below, or let the quotes inspire a message all your own for a pet sympathy card.
The following pet loss quotes include messages from all types of pet owners. They also show how much of an impact our furry friends have on us during their short lives.
- “Grief is so painfully real, regardless of its origin. The love of, and attachment to, an animal friend can equal that of human relationships. Likewise, the loss of an animal can be just as devastating.” – Rev. Joel L. Morgan.
- “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.” – John Galsworthy
- “Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kabil Gibran
- “It is a fearful thing to love what death can touch.” – Anonymous
- “I felt a grief that I had really not experienced before, even though I had lost relatives.” – John Grogan
- “Having a pet is a risk – you always have the grief ahead. But that’s the flip side of love.” – Tania
- “We should never underestimate the powerful draw of a bond with a being that loves us unconditionally, asking very little in return. Losing this comfort and source of joy can be incomprehensible.” – Linda Lipshutz
If you’re looking for words to share with someone who’s recently lost their pet, these quotes might be just right. Pick one from those listed below or use them to inspire a message all your own.
- “One day we will again see our animals in the eternity of Christ.” – Pope Paul VI
- “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we have loved deeply, becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
- “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
- “Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it.” – Amy Sedaris
- “If there is a heaven, it’s certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them.” – Pam Brown
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
We only get our pets for their lifetime, but they often teach us a lot in that short amount of time. These quotes highlights just that:
- “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
- “Heartbreak is life educating us.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.” – James Herriot
- “Animals have come to mean so much in our lives. We live in a fragmented and disconnected culture. Politics are ugly, religion is struggling, technology is stressful, and the economy is unfortunate. What’s one thing that we have in our lives that we can depend on? A dog or a cat loving us unconditionally, every day, very faithfully.” – Jon Katz
- “It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” – John Grogan
- “Sorrow is how we learn to love. Your heart isn’t breaking. It hurts because it’s getting larger. The larger it gets, the more love it holds.” – Rita Mae Brown
- “When we think of those companions who travelled by our side down life’s road, let us not say with sadness that they left us behind, but rather say with gentle gratitude that they once were with us.” – Unknown
- “A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered.” – Lacie Petitto
- “All his sweet and shaggy life, always near me, never troubling me, and asking nothing.” – Pablo Neruda
- “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always near, so loved, so missed, so very dear.” – Anonymous
- “Animals are reliable; many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful, and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.” – Alfred A. Montapert
- “His ears were often the first thing to catch my tears.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- “With eye upraised his master’s look to scan, the joy, the solace, and the aid of man: The rich man’s guardian and the poor man’s friend, The only creature faithful to the end.” – George Crabbe
Resources Related to Pet Loss Quotes
If you found this resource on pet loss quotes helpful and you’re looking for similar resources, consider the following: