Who knows what to say when someone passes away? After hearing the news, many of us want to reach out with condolences, but aren’t sure exactly what to say. Often, some have no clue where to begin or what the right words are. However, in the face of loss, sadness, and shock it’s vital that friends and family reach out to those grieving and let them know how much they’re cared for. So if you’re looking for the right sympathy messages or what to write in a sympathy card, look to our guide below.
- Understanding What To Say In A Sympathy Card
- Sympathy Card Wording Examples
- Loss of a Father Sympathy Messages
- Loss of a Mother Sympathy Messages
- Messages for the Loss of a Husband
- Messages for the Loss of a Wife Sympathy Messages
- Loss of a Pet Sympathy Card Messages
- Loss of a Coworker Sympathy Card Messages
- Condolences To A Friend Who Lost Someone Special
- Additional Sympathy Sentiments
- What to Write in a Funeral Flower Bouquet
- How to Sign a Sympathy Card
- What Not to Write in Sympathy Card
It’s no easy task to sign a heartfelt sympathy card, but it is the right thing to do. You may sit and ponder things like what you would want those close to you to say in a moment like this. You may begin to write and then worry you might say the wrong things. It’s important to remember that in darkness sometimes all you need to be reminded of is a little light. Even though writing a card that says, ‘Sorry for your loss,’ isn’t easy, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t important. And your condolence messages may be just the light that person needs.
The following sympathy messages are meant to give you a guideline to follow for bringing warmth to a grieving heart. Use them as they are, combine them or customize them to express your feelings.
Sympathy Card Wording Examples
Whether you want to express your own feelings, acknowledge the feelings of others, share a memory or offer ongoing support, you’re going to need to put all of these sentiments into the right words. Remember that you can be brief and still come off as warm and comforting. Let your own judgment as well as these examples guide you in drafting your sympathy messages with a serious and sincere tone.
Examples of Sympathy Card Wording:
- “We are deeply sorry about the loss of (name). As you grieve, know that we are remembering and honoring him/her.”
- “I’ll remember (name) in many positive ways-with a big smile and a great sense of humor, always great with a story.”
- “I’m sure your heart is aching. We want you to know that we are here for you if your need anything. Expect us to check in soon.”
- “Sorry for your loss. I celebrate the life of (name) and am mourning him/her with you in this trying time.”
- “Our hearts go out to you and your family. Although I don’t know exactly what to say, I want you to know that I am with you in thought and wish you comfort and peace as you remember (name).”
- “Words can’t express the loss of (name). Know that I’m here for you and your family in these difficult times when you need anything.”
- “I can’t express how much (name) meant to me over the years. He/She always brought so much light into the lives of those around him/her. My condolences to you and your wonderful family.”
Loss Of A Father Sympathy Messages
They say that a father’s guiding hand always sits on the shoulder of his children. And, although he may be in a better place, losing such a strong figure in life is one of the hardest things many of us will go through. Think about retelling how this person’s father lived, how he smiled and how he loved when drafting a sympathy card messages for the loss of a father. Additionally, consider visiting our additional resource on Miss You Dad Quotes and Messages.
- “Nobody could tell a funny story like your father. Remember at your birthday party- the story about the cake incident? My face hurt for a full day after from laughing so hard. I’ll always cherish those memories and fun times spent with him.”
- “What a good and generous man your father was. I thought his funeral service was a wonderful tribute to him and all he has done for our community. He will be missed.”
- “When you speak of him, speak not with tears, for thoughts of him should not be sad. Let memories of the times you shared give you comfort, for his life was rich because of you.”
- “He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. What an amazing life your father led. I will never forget the way he smiled and the way he loved you with every piece of his heart.”
- “Let the memories of your fathers life provide you with the comfort you need during this challenging time.”
- “Such a strong man will never truly be gone, for he has left such a loving presence in our hearts.”
- “My deepest condolences to you and your family. Your father was truly an incredible person, and his loss is felt deeply.”
Loss Of A Mother Sympathy Messages
Just as with the loss of a father, losing your mother is profound. It can be of great comfort for a grieving person to hear how much you admired and cared for their mother. Extend your caring thoughts, admiration, and words of condolences with these examples.
- “Although no words can take away the sorrow that you bear. May it be comforting to you to know that others care.”
- “There are so few comforting words when we need them most. The passing of the one who first introduced us to this planet and who loved us along its paths is never easy.”
- “I have no idea what you must be going through in losing what I think is one of the most important compasses in your life. I know your mom was that to you and with this loss comes so many layers of heartache. Please know my heart is open to giving you anything you might need during this time of incredible loss.”
- “Your mom was such a lovely woman. I often think about all the times we spent together and all the amazing meals your mom cooked. She was such a pleasure to have around. I have learned so much from her and will remember her always. I love you and am truly sorry for your loss.”
- “My heart aches for you and your family during this time. Your mother was such an amazing person and she will truly be missed, My condolences.”
- “Your mother was someone whose light shown on everyone around her. That light is deeply missed. Take comfort in how much she, and your whole family, is loved in these difficult times.”
- “Nothing can truly cut the ties of motherhood. She is with us all still in love, memory, and family. Know we are here to support you all through everything that may come.”
Loss Of a Husband Sympathy Messages
The bond between a husband and his partner is unlike any other. In the face of death, it’s important for those that he has left behind to know how sorry you are for their immense loss.
- “If the bond between two people is strong, even death cannot do them apart.”
- “What beautiful memories the two of you have made together. I can’t imagine the loss you have suffered, but know I’m here for you now and always.”
- “I can only imagine how difficult and demanding this time is for you. We’ll be mourning his passing with you and celebrating the life of a good man.
- “Your husband was surely a gem of a person. He will be missed for his goodness in life. Stay strong and know there is a whole community at your side.”
- “He was an amazing friend, husband and exceptional human being. A great soul, may he rest in peace. Sorry to hear about this news. We stand with you in this time of need.”
- “We’ve shared our lives these many years. You’ve held my hand; you’ve held my heart. So many blessings, so few tears – yet for a moment, we must part. Thinking of you and the loss of your husband in this time.”
- “Your husband was truly an incredible soul, full of strength, love, and much more. Our deepest condolences to you for your loss. We’ll always be here for you in times of need.”
Loss Of a Wife Sympathy Messages
Few events in life are as painful as the death of your spouse, your partner for life. If a loved one you know is going through the loss of their wife use these words to guide you in comforting their grieving heart. These short sympathy messages extend caring thoughts and support.
- “When the person you love has gone away, remember you always have their memories with you. It is something that no one can take away from you. We are thinking of you during this sad time.”
- “My words cannot fully express the sorrow I feel after learning about the death of your beloved wife. May you ever treasure the wonderful times you had and my thoughts are with your whole family.”
- “We felt our hearts crush into tiny little bits when we heard about the sudden and untimely passing away of your dear wife. She was a wonderful human being. She will truly be missed by all.”
- “Your dearest wife was not just a great companion to you, but also a very wonderful human being having touched the lives of many. Her passing has brought gloom to many around and we are all going to miss her lots. You being the closest to her, I know that I can never possibly understand the terrible loss you are suffering. But do know that my thoughts are with you.”
- “Nothing can ever replace the amazing person I knew your wife to be. It is indeed sad to part ways with someone so sincere. May she rest in peace.”
- “May (name) rest in peace. We can’t express how much she will be missed in our lives. Our deepest condolences to you and your family.”
- “She was truly an incredible woman, full of love love, sincerity, and joy. She will be immensely missed. May you take comfort in the love of friends and family during this difficult time.”
Loss Of A Coworker Sympathy Card Messages
Going from seeing someone across the hall on a daily basis to never seeing him/her again is hard to fathom. Look to these kind words of sympathy for the loss of a coworker to help guide you when drafting your short sympathy note for someone you work with.
- “I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you.”
- “May (name) rest in peace. Know that I’m here for you during this time of grieving.”
- “Thinking of you in these difficult times.”
- “My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It was a joy to work in the presence of (name of deceased.) I will never forget the warmth his/her smile brought to the office each and every day.”
- “Thinking of you, wishing you hope in the midst of sorrow, comfort in the midst of pain.”
- “The loss of (name) is felt by many. May the memories of their wonderful personality and many contributions be celebrated by all.”
- “(Name of coworker) will be in our hearts and memories.”
Loss Of A Pet Sympathy Card Messages
The furry friends in our lives become part of the family immediately– and grieving the loss of an animal companion is a difficult process. Just remember that those close to us live forever in the memories we keep. Remind your loved one of that with your words of condolence for the loss of their pet.
- “When pets leave us, it can seem so sudden and cruel. I’m deeply saddened to know that your furry friend has passed on. You have my deepest sympathy.”
- “Some dogs are incredibly lovable and fill up a void in your life you didn’t even know you had. When they pass, however, you realize just how big that void can be. I’m truly sorry for your loss.”
- “In this tragic moment, we must celebrate the long life lived by your beloved cat, instead of letting those happy memories fade away in mourning.”
- “I know words do little to ease the pain you feel when such a lovely pet passes on. Know that I am thinking of you during this time and always.”
- “I know you were very close to (name of pet.) I’m sorry for your loss.”
- “The loss of a pet is devastating. Know how much they were loved and take comfort in friends and family during this difficult time.”
Condolences To A Friend Who Lost Someone Special
The loss of someone dear to us is never easy, but your loved one going through this grieving time may take comfort in the fact that you acknowledge his or her loss. Let these compassionate condolence messages guide your wishes.
- “Wishing you peace to bring you comfort, courage to face the days ahead and loving memories to forever hold in your heart.”
- “(Name of deceased) will remain in our hearts forever. May you be comforted by the outpouring of love and support.”
- “This must be a very difficult time for you. I’m always here if you need someone to talk to. Sent with love and remembrance.”
- “Words fall short of expressing my sorrow for your loss. I am deeply sorry to hear about the passing of (name).”
- “I can’t imagine the sadness you must be feeling from your loss. May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead.”
Are you looking for additional sympathy sentiments and messages that aren’t written above? If so, look below for more examples of sympathy wording, or look to our bible verses about family or family quotes resources for additional messaging examples.
- “Our love and deepest sympathies to you and your family.”
- “May you take comfort in loving memory and the friends and family that surround you.”
- “May the pain you feel now be nothing compared to joy found within the memories of (name.)”
- “I can’t express how much we loved and cherished (name). Our deepest condolences for your loss.”
- “We’re praying for your family and take comfort that (name) is at peace and watching over us all.”
- “How lucky is it to have someone so wonderful that it makes saying goodbye so hard. You and your family are in our thoughts.”
What To Write On Funeral Flower Bouquet
We’re all aware of the tiny little card that comes clipped to a beautiful bouquet of flowers. When sending a funeral flower bouquet, here are some ideas to look to concerning what exactly to say. Short and sweet is the best way to share your emotions on the tiny blank space this small sympathy card provides.
- “Please know our loving thoughts embrace you.”
- “Please accept these flowers and hear the words we are not able to speak.”
- “My thoughts are with you.”
- “Thinking of you in these difficult times.”
- “Our hearts are filled with sorrow.”
- “May these flowers offer a little light during these difficult times.”
- “Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.”
How To Sign A Sympathy Card
How you sign your sympathy card will depend to a certain extent on the message that you’ve written. Here are some closings that you can use before signing your name.
- “With caring thoughts,”
- “My deepest sympathy,”
- “Warmest condolences,”
- “Please accept my condolences,”
- “With Sympathy,”
- “All my love,”
Tip: Avoid using overly casual language like “Best,” as a sign off.
What NOT To Write On A Sympathy Card
Now that you have some solid guidance for what to write in your condolence messages, we want to also leave you with things that should be left out of your sympathy card.
Don’t: Use harsh words like “Death,” “Died,” or similar. Additionally, don’t include any details from the person’s passing in the letter, as this may bring up bad memories.
Avoid saying: “I know how you feel,” “This happened for a reason,” “He/she was so young,” and similar sentiments that may not be taken well by every audience.
Sitting down and writing a sympathy card, no matter what the circumstance, is never an easy task. Use your own judgment and our examples to help guide you through the process. There aren’t set rules for this. The best advice we can give is to write from the heart in conveying your feelings.
Additional Resources Related to Sympathy Card Messages
If you found this resource on sympathy messages helpful, and you’re looking for additional resources with similar content, look to the options below: