Grab your loved ones, a glass of eggnog and cozy up by the fire, because Christmastime is here. The holidays can be a busy time of year, so writing holiday card messages may have taken a backseat to other to-dos. You may feel overwhelmed by having to know when to send cards, what to write on them and who to send cards to.
Coming up with personalized holiday sayings for cards can be difficult — especially if you’re squeezing it in at the last minute. That’s why we put together 130 Christmas card sayings to help inspire, excite and de-stress you this season. The message you pick and how you sign your holiday cards is dependent on the recipient, a family card should look a lot different than a card for a business partner. As you plan what to write in your cards, don’t forget to pick out the perfect Christmas card design.
Use the buttons below to jump to the category of your holiday card style.
Funny Christmas Card Sayings
Make your holiday card stand out with a humorous holiday card saying. Just keep your audience in mind when selecting a funny holiday card saying — so as not to confuse or offend anyone with a reference that they don’t connect with.
- You're super nice. Wanna know how I know? Guy in a big red suit told me.
- That warm feeling isn't just the Christmas spirit. I think you left the oven on.
- This holiday season let us treasure what is truly important in all our lives, the reason for the season: Cookies.
- You know those commercials where the present is a brand new car with a big red bow? Yeah, we're not doing that.
- We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas and you're welcome - that song's now stuck in your head all day.
- There's pure joy in the discovery that the best presents are the people whose presence is solely for bringing presents.
- Home is where the Christmas cookies and presents are!
- Insert fruitcake joke, add ugly sweater = The best xmas card ever made. You are welcome.
- I might not believe in Santa, but I still believe in a good Christmas card!
- If you ask Santa for a lump of coal this Christmas, how will we know if you're naughty or nice? I guess we’ll never know…
- Another Christmas already? Seriously, what the Elf?
- Did you hear that? It's either the magical jingling of eight flying reindeer pulling a miniature sleigh or it's holiday tinnitus…
- The 12 days of Christmas guy really had a thing about birds, huh? Let's hope you don’t know anyone crazy enough to give you 23 birds this holiday season.
- You make me love Christmas even more than I already do. And that's saying something because I have all nine of Santa’s reindeer tattooed on my left thigh.
- Don't say anything, but I think I just saw that creepy elf on the bookcase actually move.
- Christmas is not about presents. It's about family... and spiral ham.... and who in the family is bringing the spiral ham?
- It's your Christmas! March to the beat of your own little drummer boy.
- Christmas mysteries: What IS tinsel made of? Exactly what categorizes a drink as “nog?” How can I eat just one more cookie? Let's find out together, shall we?
- The only app I'd like for Christmas is a "hAPPy holiday."
- Nobody loves Christmas more than me, and I love you even more than Christmas... or at least it's close.
- Be sure to keep the "mas" in Christmas... as in, "mas regalos por favor!" (Translated from Spanish for: "more presents please!")
- Bring on the joy! Bring on the cheer! Bring on the present swap game... I always dominate!
- This holiday, let's be more Christmas Carol ending and less Christmas Story beginning... where he shoots his eye out.
- "Give me an H! Gimme an O! Gimme an H! Gimme an O! Gimme an H! Gimme an O! What's that spell? HO-HO-HOLIDAY CHEER!
- You turn candy can't into candy cane!
- I know we say this every year... but let's actually go carolling... No, I mean it! Our neighbors will looove it...
- If you warm me with your holiday spirit, I promise to inspire you with my holiday cheer. We'll be disgustingly full of happiness together.
Religious Christmas Card Sayings
If Christmas holds a religious meaning to you, these religious Christmas quotes are perfect for your card. Use a religious christmas card design along with your quote to express your faith.
- A happy holiday and blessed new year filled with joy and contentment.
- Hosannah in the highest! Christ is born, celebrate with gladness!
- Merry Christmas to you and God bless you and your family with peace and joy for the year to come.
- Rejoice! Rejoice! Rejoice in the birth of the Lord - for unto us a child is given this night to bring peace and love to all mankind.
- Glory to the newborn king! Christ in Bethlehem was born - let us rejoice and give thanks to God.
- Peace be with your spirit on this night as you rejoice in the gift of the love of Christ.
- Make a joyful noise! Hallelujah - Christ was born, let us rejoice in his glory!
- Remember on Christmas to follow a star, it just might bring you to the light of the world.
- The glorious Christ child was born in a manger on this night. Let us think humbly on him as we rejoice this Christmas.
- Hosanna and blessings to us all as we remember the birth of our Lord and saviour. Happy Holidays.
- This Christmas let hope warm your heart, love warm your family, and the Holy Spirit warm all mankind.
- May the harmony of Christmas stay in your heart all year round and may the Lord send his blessings.
- May God bless you and let this Christmas season bring comfort and joy to you and your family.
- Let the Lord send good tidings and the angels ring with joy! I wish you gladness and peace in the new year!
- Let the Lord guide you this Christmas season and warm your heart all winter long.
- Celebrate this Yuletide with God at your side.
- May the Lord send all His wonderful gifts this holiday season!
- Joy, grateful tidings, and a chance to rest and reflect on the blessings of God - all this I wish for you this year.
- From the light of the world to the smallest twinkling light, let the spirit of the Lord illuminate your way all year long.
- Hold this time close to your heart and feel the warmth of the God's love this holiday season!
- The Lord is holding your family close on a Christmas night as you join in joyful song: Joy to the World!
- May all your Christmas wishes come true and God's love wash over you this new year.
- Feel the waves of love and peace settle over the world this Christmas. The King is here and love is all around.
- This Christmas give the gift of love and the gift of joy, and you will receive the gift of the Lord.
Sentimental Christmas Card Sayings
Sentimental holiday card sayings go perfectly with the season’s values. Spread Christmas cheer and warmth with these sweet and sentimental holiday messages.
- May Christmas warm your heart the whole year long!
- Good tidings to you and happy Christmas for today and all the Christmases to come.
- Wishing you a merry Christmas and peace throughout the year.
- Noel! Peace and joy to you this Christmastime!
- Let the magic of Christmas bring love and peace to you and to the world.
- Allow peace into your heart this Christmas, and may the new year be a time to rejoice.
- May goodness and light follow you this Christmas and for all your days.
- May you and those you love find true happiness and peace this Christmas and into the new year!
- Feel the peace and love of Christmas in your heart this holiday season.
- Joy, peace, and love unto you and your family this Christmas.
- Let resounding joy ring from your rafters this Christmas!
- As the tree is evergreen, let the spirit of Christmas ever warm our hearts.
- Christmas isn't about what you receive - it's about the love that you give.
- The most wonderful gift I can receive this Christmas is to celebrate with you.
- With love and good tidings to you this Christmas and a joyous new year!
- Let the magic of Christmas bring you back to when you were a child, and let that innocence be a balm to your worries.
- Santa is real, if we believe. Bringing you the gift of a little magic this Christmas Eve.
- Remember when? Keep Christmas close and the memories will flood to you like a tide of joy.
- Sure, Christmas is for kids, but luckily the holiday spirit makes children of us all.
- Love each day as if it were Christmas and you will always be joyful!
- Here's wishing you the charms of Christmas all year long.
- Christmas is a special time when doubts and fears are melted away with love and hope. We love you and wish you all the best this holiday season.
- Sing, dance, rejoice in song - and treat yourself and others with kindness this Christmas.
- Isn't it amazing to think that people are celebrating Christmas just like this, around the world, all at the same time... but none of them have you!
- Everything is simply more meaningful at Christmas. I'm so glad you are here to help me rejoice and feel the love of the season.
- There is nothing quite like Christmas - the celebration, the decoration, and the pure excitement. Follow your joy this holiday season and in the new year.
- Christmas warms the soul and tickles the heart - I'm so glad we can celebrate together!
Christmas Card Quotes
Sometimes the perfect words for your holiday card have already been said, quotes are a great option for Christmas cards. Quotes can still be personal, use a quote that has meaning to you — choose one from your favorite holiday movie, book or song.
- “Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home!” —Charles Dickens
- “God bless us, every one.” —Charles Dickens
- “Hark how the bells, Sweet silver bells, All seem to say, Throw cares away!” —Carol of the Bells
- “Love and joy come to you and to you good Christmas too and God bless you and send you a happy new year” —Here We Come A-Wassailing'
- “Of course there is a Santa Claus. It’s just that no single somebody could do all he has to do. So the Lord has spread the task among us all. That’s why everybody is Santa Claus. I am. You are.” —Truman Capote, One Christmas
- “As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is.” —Eric Sevareid
- “I manage a toast to the Christmas tree and one to the sweet absurdity in the miracle of the verb to be. Lucky you, lucky me.” —Miller Williams
- “What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!” —Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
- “Mankind is a great, an immense family... This is proved by what we feel in our hearts at Christmas.” —Pope John XXIII
- “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” —Charles M. Schulz
- “During Christmas, open your heart with love to appreciate the beauty of life and all the presents that you have received from the earth.” —Debasish Mridha
- “Said the king to the people everywhere, listen to what I say. Pray for peace, people everywhere! listen to what I say. The Child, the Child, sleeping in the night. He will bring us goodness and light” —Do You Hear What I Hear
- “The best things in life aren't things.” —Art Buchwald
- “I heard the bells on Christmas Day, their old, familiar carols play, and wild and sweet the words repeat of peace on earth, good-will to men!” —Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Remember. No man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence.” —It's a Wonderful Life
- “May all your Christmases be white.” —Irving Berlin
- “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.” —Laura Ingalls Wilder
- “Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. ” —Norman Vincent Peale
Romantic Christmas Card Messages
After writing a mountain of cards to friends and family, don’t forget to create a special card for your significant other. If you are having a hard time deciding what to get them, consider making a photo book of your relationship—it’s a thoughtful and romantic gift that’s perfect for your sweetie.
- It's not the holly and the ivy, nor the lights on the trees, but you by my side that fills this holiday with the spirit of love.
- Baby it’s cold outside, but you fill my heart with warmth.
- You are the greatest gift I could wish for this Christmas.
- Let the kids dream of sugar plums, and others dream of snowy evenings. I'm dreaming of you, my darling.
- ‘Tis the season for love and happiness, Happy Holidays my love.
- You are the star on my Christmas tree, the marshmallows in my cocoa, and the Rudolph for my sleigh - here's to another wonderful Christmas together!
- If love is the reason for the season, I have a lot to be thankful for.
- Remember that magical feeling of waking up to presents on a Christmas morning? That's how I feel waking up with you!
- I love the snow. I love the tree. I love the stockings, the cookies, the candy canes and the giving of precious gifts. But, most of all, I love you. Merry Christmas.
- I may not remember every Christmas carol, but I remember how much you mean to me on Christmas. We're like two turtle doves in a pear tree, or something like that.
- With you, everyday is like Christmas! Although...today is actually Christmas!
- I wouldn’t want to cuddle up next to the fireplace with anyone else, Merry Christmas!
- Here’s to many more holidays by your side.
- The holidays are special because I get to spend them with you.
- If love and happiness were snowflakes, I’d send a blizzard your way this holiday season! Merry Christmas my love.
Non-Denominational Holiday Sayings
If you want your holiday card to be inclusive of all denominations try avoiding religion-specific topics and stick to “Happy Holiday” and “Happy New Year” card designs. The main focuses of the holidays are family, love, joy and peace — all of which make great holiday card themes.
- Peace on Earth, good will toward all.
- Best wishes to you this holiday season.
- May this holiday season be filled with laughter, joy, and peace.
- Sharing this season together is the greatest gift of all.
- Peace and love to warm your heart this holiday season.
- May the splendor of the season warm your days and nights.
- Peace be with you this holiday season and let it envelop you all of your days.
- The true meaning of the holidays is having a friend like you.
- May your holidays be merry and bright!
- May the lights of the season fill you with warmth and joyous spirit.
- Laughter fill your home on this joyous holiday. Be comforted, be content, and give love.
- May you find peace this holiday season and glorious love in the new year.
- Joy to the world!
- Hope, joy, love, and gladness - let all these be your guide this holiday season.
- Thinking of you this holiday season with love and gladness. I'm so happy we are celebrating this joyous day together.
- Joy and love to you and yours this holiday season!
- May the charms of the holiday season gladden your heart and lighten your burdens.
- Season’s greetings and best wishes for the New Year.
- Health and happiness from my family to yours.
Use these holiday card sayings on their own or add a customized message to make your cards feel more personal. There are so many reasons to send holiday greetings this season, like taking fun and festive family or couple photos for personalized Christmas cards. However you decide to celebrate this year, we wish you the happiest of holidays filled with love and peace.