From Joan of Arc, to Harriet Tubman, to Oprah– herstory is full of famously strong women. As an unstoppable collective force, women gained the right to vote, made countless major scientific breakthroughs, and raised whole generations. So when you need a reminder of just how brave and powerful the female voice can be, check out all our favorite strong women quotes listed below. And if you find a favorite, make sure to write it down for your next coffee mug quote or as an addition to a custom Mother’s Day card or Pride card.
- When to Use Inspirational Quotes For Strong Women
- Powerful Women Quotes
- Brave Women Quotes
- Strong Confident Woman Quotes
- Independent Women Quotes
- Positive Quotes For Women
- Bible Quotes About Strong Women
- Successful Women Quotes
There’s always time to celebrate the strength and hard work of all the women in our lives, but some occasions make these quotes extra special. Some of the best times to share one of our strong women quotes with a loved one may include:
- Mother’s Day. Is it time to celebrate your mother and everything she’s done for you? Then make sure to visit our resource on Mother’s Day quotes.
- A birthday. If a female relative or friend is having a birthday, one of these quotes may make a perfect addition to her birthday card.
- Recent birth. Our New Mom quotes make great messages to let your loved one know you’ve got her back as she transitions into Motherhood.
- A loved one going through a difficult time. Remind her just how strong she is.
- Graduation. A few handpicked quotes from this list are especially helpful during such a transitional time.
- The start of a new journey. Whether it’s a career change, move, engagement, or anything else, your words of encouragement can help a lot.
The following quotes prove women are a force of nature. Do any of the following quotes remind you of some women in your life? Let us know in the comments!
- “Never apologize for being a powerful woman.” – Unknown
- “The world needs strong women. Women who will lift and build others, who will love and be loved, women who live bravely, both tender and fierce, women of indomitable will.” – Amy Tenney
- “Each time a woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all women.” –Maya Angelou
- “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” – Diane Mariechild
- “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.” – Sheryl Sandberg
- “A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done.” – Marge Piercy
- “I figure, if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one.” – Calamity Jane
History is full of courageous women, and we have the quotes to prove it. Check out some of our top picks below and find a favorite of your own for Women’s History Month, Pride Month, or Mother’s Day.
- “A strong woman stands up for herself. A stronger woman stands up for everybody else.” – Unknown
- “And one day she discovered that she was fierce, and strong, and full of fire, and that not even she could hold herself back because her passion burned brighter than her fears.” – Mark Anthony
- “She was a wild one; always stomping on eggshells that everyone else tip-toed on.” – Kaitlin Foster
- “She was powerful not because she wasn’t scared but because she went on so strongly, despite the fear.” – Atticus
- “One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go.” – Sheila Murray Bethel
- “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” – Helen Keller
- “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
There are times when you feel empowered in your actions or abilities, and then there are times when you need a reminder that you’re a strong, confident woman. These quotes are here to do just that.
- “We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free.” – Kavita Ramdas
- “Strong women don’t play the victim. Don’t make themselves look pitiful and don’t point fingers. They stand and they deal.” – Mandy Hale
- “I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind learning.” – Amy Poehler
- “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult.” – Melinda Gates
- “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” – Marie Curie
- “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
When the whole world seems determined to knock you down, these quotes can remind you how strong you are all on your own.
- “Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else.” – Judy Garland
- “Once you figure out what respect tastes like, it tastes better than attention.” – Pink
- “A strong woman understands that the gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.” – Nancy Rathburn
- “You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.” – Rosalynn Carter
- “Be strong enough to stand alone, smart enough to know when you need help, and brave enough to ask for it.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “Figure out who are you separate from your family, and the man or woman you’re in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self. With that, you can do anything else.” – Angelina Jolie
- “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
- “Don’t let anyone speak for you, and don’t rely on others to fight for you.” – Michelle Obama
These positive quotes for women serve as a great reminder of inner strength during difficult times in life. Whether you use it in a get well card, a birthday card, or Pride Month card, these quotes are sure to mean a lot to any loved one in your life.
- “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong, I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “Women are like teabags. We don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “You must know that you can do this. You are strong. And you will make it. Just hang on and keep believing in yourself, always.” – Heather A. Stillufsen
- “Everyone has inside of her a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is.” – Anne Frank
- “A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars.” – Carly Simon
- “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
- “Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. And, when you stumble, keep faith. And, when you’re knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on.” – Hillary Rodham Clinton
The following quotes about women empowerment and upliftment come straight from the Bible itself.
- “God is within her, she will not fall.” – Psalm 46:5
- “She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” – Proverbs 31:25
- “By the grace of God, I am what I am.” – 1 Corinthians 15:10
- “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” – Psalm 139:14
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- “Declare over yourself: ‘God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.’” – 2 Tim 1:7
The final quotes on our list were first spoken by world renowned female leaders and role models. Their personal journeys took them in many different directions, and led to some of the best quotes about female success on this list.
- “Doubt is a killer. You just have to know who you are and what you stand for.” – Jennifer Lopez
- “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.” – Hillary Clinton
- “Women are leaders everywhere you look—from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women, and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.” – Nancy Pelosi
Resources Related to Strong Women Quotes
If you liked this guide on strong women quotes, and you’re looking for additional resources related to inspirational words for women, you might like the following: