Kindness can come in so many different forms – it might be a vocal appreciation for all that a loved one does for you. Or, it might be something more hands-on, such as opening a door for a stranger or delivering a bouquet of flowers. Whatever form it comes in, a little kindness can bring a whole lot of joy to our lives and those around us. So, if you’re looking for a bit of inspiration to incorporate kindness into your life more regularly, look no further than these inspirational and famous quotes about being kind. Use these assortments of kindness quotes as reminders for you or share them with others in a thoughtful greeting card.
- Random Acts of Kindness Quotes
- Inspirational Kindness Quotes
- Love and Kindness Quotes
- Kindness Quotes for Kids
- Quotes on Kindness and Generosity
- Famous Kindness Quotes
Random Acts of Kindness Quotes
There are times in our life when we don’t take action because we feel the act of kindness is too little, that it wouldn’t make a difference. However, sometimes the smallest gesture can make a huge impact on someone’s life. There are many different ways we can show kindness to others, and it doesn’t have to be in a big way.
Sometimes all it takes is a simple string of kind words to immediately turn someone’s day around. Be inspired by these inspirational quotes and use them to motivate yourself and others into doing random acts that would help those in need, help those who need a smile, and help just make the world a better place.
- “Perform little acts of kindness ‘just because’, and watch how much better you feel about yourself.” – James Fullerton
- “Genuine kindness is no ordinary act, but a gift of rare beauty.” – Sylvia Rossetti
- “Perform a random act of kindness for someone: a smile, compliment, or a favor just for fun. These will multiply and spread very rapidly.” – Steve Brunkhorst
- “That best portion of a good man’s life; his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.” – William Wordsworth
- “Random acts of kindness can bring joy to both the giver and the receiver. Try to do at least one each day this week.” – Vee Freir
- “Small acts of kindness can make a difference in other peoples lives more than we can imagine.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “Selfless acts of kindness often result in some amazing things.” – Evan Tarver
- “Even if you think you have very little to offer, it doesn’t matter, it’s purely the act of kindness that is important. What you may think is small or not very important can mean everything to someone else.” – Giovanna Tucker
- “Random acts of kindness are those moments when we are motivated to make someone happy. We want to make their life easier.” – Barb Walters
- “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams
- “From the simplest acts of kindness done for total strangers, to the most deliberate acts of kindness to those wounded souls who are the hardest to love – each act of kindness improves the lives of everyone involved.” – Rhonda Sciortino
Inspirational Kindness Quotes
There are a myriad of things the world could benefit from having more of. Kindness is one of them. When you are a kind person, you’re not only helping others, you are helping yourself, too. There’s substantial scientific evidence that being kind makes you – and others around you – happy. Here are some inspirational kindness quotes to inspire you to help others and be happy as well.
- “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Always be a little kinder than necessary.” – James M. Barrie
- “You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force.” – Publilius Syrus
- “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” – Bob Kerrey
- “Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.” – Charles Glassman
- “I started to see “unconditional self-acceptance” — being kind to ourselves no matter what is happening in our lives — as an immensely powerful life skill that most of us have not been taught.” – Mark Nepo
- “Don’t be the reason someone feels insecure. Be the reason someone feels seen, heard, and supported.” – Cleo Wade
- “Kindness is more than deeds. It is an attitude, an expression, a look, a touch. It is anything that lifts a person up.” – Plato
- “A moment of self compassion can change your entire day. A string of such moments can change the course of your life.” – Christopher Germer
Love and Kindness Quotes
There are lots of ways to incorporate kindness and love quotes into your daily life. Send them as a text, inscribe them into a custom frame, or even draw inspiration for your wedding vows. No matter how you plan to use quotes about love and kindness, you’re sure to find what you need here.
- “Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.” – Barbara de Angelis
- “If speaking kindly to plants makes them grow, imagine what speaking kindly to humans can do.” – Unknown
- “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.” – Dalai Lama
- “Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart than a piece of our mind.” – Unknown
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
- “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao-Tzu
- “Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.” – A. Milne
- “Kindness is love in action.” – Tara Cousineau
Kindness Quotes for Kids
Teaching children to be kind is one of the kindest things you can do. Not only are you imparting something that makes kids feel good about themselves, but you’re planting seeds that make the world a better place. Fortunately, kindness has a way of spreading. When one person – adult or child – commits a random act of kindness, it inspires others to do the same. The key is just to get the ball rolling.
Here are some quotes about kindness that are short, lively, and easy to understand – perfect for sending a message of compassion to a younger person. Whether you’re an educator or a parent (or a young person yourself!), we hope you enjoy these kindness quotes for kids.
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.”- Maya Angelou
- “Be Silly, Be Honest, Be Kind.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” – Dalai Lama
- “Learning to stand in somebody else’s shoes to see through their eyes, that’s how peace begins.” -Barack Obama
- “If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.” – Dolly Parton
- “Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
- “When it rains look for rainbows, when it’s dark look for stars.” – Oscar Wilde
- “You can always, always give something, even if it is only kindness!” – Anne Frank
- “Kind words don’t cost much. Yet they accomplish much.” – Blaise Pascal
- “Everywhere you go, leave a glitter trail of kindness behind you.” – Unknown
- “To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.” – Dr. Seuss
Quotes on Kindness and Generosity
There’s nothing like a good quote to stop you in your tracks, make you think, and ultimately change the way you live. Quotes about generosity can do just that. The best ones make you pause and think, inspiring you to live in kindness and generosity as you go about your day. Stick these quotes all around your house: on the fridge, on your walls as canvas prints, or within a custom photo book! Put them in places that will consistently remind you about the best way to live—with a generous heart.
- “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” – Henry Van Dyke
- “That’s what I consider true generosity: You give your all and yet you always feel as if it costs you nothing.” – Simone de Beauvoir
- “Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
- “A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.” – John Ruskin
- “The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey.” – Sarah Fielding
- “Being generous often consists of simply extending a hand. That’s hard to do if you are grasping tightly to your righteousness, your belief system, your superiority, your assumptions about others, your definition of normal.” – Patti Digh
- “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
- “Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.” – Khalil Gibran
- “Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Famous Kindness Quotes
Kindness is one of the most powerful attributes one can have. Being friendly, generous, and considerate can make the world a better place and drastically improve our own well-being as well. Despite all the challenges in life, it’s upon us to cultivate a sense of kindness. To help you on that front, below a list of the best kindness quotes and sayings, including the names of each speaker or author.
- “Do small things with great love.” – Mother Teresa
- “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
- Save one (or several) of your favorite sayings to your desktop, then post, tweet, or email them to tell a special friend just how much her friendship means.
- “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain
- “Kindness is always fashionable, and always welcome.” – Amelia Barr
- “Kindness and politeness are not overrated at all. They’re underused.” – Tommy Lee Jones
- “My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.” – Maya Angelou
- “I’ve been searching for ways to heal myself, and I’ve found that kindness is the best way.” – Lady Gaga
- “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” – Henry James
- “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.” – Amelia Earhart
A simple, effective way to bring a smile to someone’s face is a good old-fashioned quote. Powerful, uplifting words remind us that everything will be okay. Quotes cheer us up or serve as a way to let someone know how much they mean to us. Don’t forget to also read our selection of happiness quotes and famous hope quotes for more inspiration.