Gratitude is one of the greatest gifts you can give this holiday season. This is the chance to send holiday and Christmas thank you cards for acts both large and small—contributions to the Christmas potluck, Christmas gifts or even cash given, or acts of support and kindness throughout the year. Think back on this past year and consider everyone you’d like to thank for the irreplaceable role they play in your life. Start with your inner circle and branch out from there. Wondering how to write a Christmas thank you card that makes an impression? Check out this series of easy prompts and phrases to spark your inspiration no matter who you’re writing to this season. From Christmas thank you messages to share with family, holiday thank you notes to send to your team at work, and a few holiday jokes for friends, you’ll find the perfect way to share the holiday spirit with those you care about. Add your own custom Christmas or holiday greeting, or feel free to copy the messages below when you design a card.
What To Include In Your Christmas Thank You Card Messages
It’s natural to wonder how to thank someone for Christmas gifts. The best way is with a personalized Christmas thank you card and a handwritten note. As you get ready to write your Christmas thank you notes, gather your list of helpful items and information:
- Holiday or Christmas thank you cards
- Festive pens
- List of Christmas gifts received
- Christmas thank you card wording ideas (see below)
- Postage stamps
- List of recipient addresses
- Holiday-themed address labels
- Envelope sealing liquid
As noted above, it’s helpful to keep a list not only of your recipients’ names and addresses, but also their gifts to you. In your Christmas thank you card, make mention of what their gifts mean to you and be specific about how you intend to use them. Consider ending your holiday thank you cards with a holiday message personalized for the role they play in your life. You can also include a photograph of your family worked into the design of the card itself or tucked inside as a separate insert. A photo card that showcases your family or Christmas tree is always a great way to go. Browse Shutterfly’s holiday and Christmas thank you cards for one readymade for you and your family.
Customized Holiday Thank You Card Sayings To Get You Started
The pressure of a blank Christmas thank you card can feel overwhelming. Sometimes you just need to see a few ideas to get the writing gears moving. Check out our general list of thank you card messages or lean on these lists below to fill in the blank and inspire your own personalized note of thanks.
General Sentiments for Christmas Thank You Cards:
- Thank you so much for your thoughtful gift. I am blown away by your generosity.
- It was so great getting to see you last week. Thank you for taking the time to catch up and fill this season with love.
- We are so grateful you could join us at our holiday party. Your presence warmed our home and the entire season.
- We have hung your present above the mantelpiece and will cherish it for years to come. Thank you.
- Thank you for making such a difference in my child’s and so many children’s lives. We are happy to have you as our son’s/daughter’s teacher. Merry Christmas!
- I cannot find the words to express how much your thoughtful Christmas gift meant to us this year. You’ve truly outdone yourself.
- Thank you for spreading love and generosity everywhere you go. Your support and thoughtful gift meant the world this holiday.
- You are truly the light of this season. I am so appreciative of everything you bring to our lives.
- How can I ever truly thank you for such a generous gift? Thank you for your thoughtfulness and care.
Holiday Thank You Notes for Friends, Family, and Coworkers:
- This season, I wanted to let you know how grateful I am to have you as a neighbor.
- Friends like you only come along once in a lifetime. Thank you for always being there for me.
- Your service and support mean so much to this community. May you have a restful and rejuvenating holiday.
- Your enthusiasm and dedication to this company are inspiring. We very much appreciate your hard work. Happy holidays!
- You have been such an asset to our family this year. Thank you for your love and support through thick and thin.
- You are so appreciated, my friend! Thank you for everything you bring to our family and everyone in your life. Have a restful holiday.
Christmas Thank You Card Ideas To Keep In Mind
When personalizing your Christmas thank you note cards, keep three main things in mind: your writing voice, your audience, and why you’re specifically thankful for them this year. You want to sound like yourself, even if you’re writing a more formal note of thanks. The holidays are the perfect time to bring up events, personalized gifts, or actions that have meant the world to you.
As you pick the right message for you, consider a few questions and tips:
- How do you know the person receiving your card? If they’re a family member, how are you related?
- Are you including a thank-you gift with the card?
- When was the last time you’ve seen them or checked in? Offer to get in touch if you haven’t had the chance to talk in a while.
- If you saw them over the holidays, mention something fun you did together. If not, will you see them sometime soon?
- Thank them for a gift they sent over the holidays.
- Reference what they mean to your school or community.
- Wish them well in the new year and throughout the holidays.
- Have they lost someone in the last year? Your holiday card can also serve as a sympathy card.
Final Thoughts on Writing Holiday Thank You Cards
Whenever possible, personalize holiday thank you sayings for each recipient. Even one sentence catered to your specific relationship—and, of course, any gifts you’ve received—will go a long way.
Though we’re all accustomed to receiving loving holiday cards throughout December, the weeks after the holidays are also a lovely time to send a note. Holiday thank you cards put an unexpected surprise in their mailbox, extending the season of gratitude long into the winter. From Christmas cards to Christmas thank you cards, there are reasons galore to reach out to your circle with personalized stationery.