If you’re wondering whether you really need to send save the dates, you’ve come to the right place. Save the dates are a great way to generate excitement around your upcoming wedding day and ensure your loved ones block off their calendars accordingly. Not only are save the dates hugely beneficial to your wedding guests, they’re also fun to customize and send.
Here are the top 10 reasons to send out save the dates. Remember – your wedding date is a definitely date worth saving!
- Share your engagement photography. After you both pop some bubbly celebrating your awesome proposal, it’s time to share the news. Surprise everyone in the mail with a romantic photo of the two of you announcing your engagement! If you aren’t planning a professional photo shoot, use a favorite photo of the two of you together or have a friend take some photos. Browse through these engagement photo ideas for more inspiration for your save the date photos.
- Introduce your wedding theme. Save the dates are a great way to give your guests a sneak peek into your wedding theme. Pick a design that speaks to the two of you. Will it be a formal affair with glitter and diamonds? Or can guests expect to wear their best flop flops to the beach? You can give an indication of your wedding decor and wedding theme by choosing a save the date design that aligns.
- Let guests get to know you—as a couple. Maybe you have a childhood friend who hasn’t met your sweetheart yet. This is a perfect time to show off your happy smiles with a save the date card. It’s a great introduction to your own unique love story.
- Put it on their calendars. With everyone’s busy schedules, you’ll want to send out your save the dates 6 to 8 months before your wedding date. This helps ensure sure they won’t accidently be out of town on your big day.
- Let guests make arrangements. Sending save the dates is especially critical if you’re having a destination wedding! Have you ever tried to book a flight last minute? It can be stressful, so please don’t do that to your wedding guests. The sooner you send out your wedding date, the better. Guests will appreciate the head’s up so that they can rent hotels, cars, and other accommodations when prices are at their lowest.
- Make it feel official. This is the first real “reality check” that the wedding is just a few months away. This is also probably the first time you’ll see you and your fiancé’s name together in writing!
- Communicate details. Do you have a lot of details about the wedding that you need to communicate to your guests? Use your save the date as a way to communicate some essential information, like your wedding website or a wedding app, to all of your guests.
- Gather addresses. Preparing to send out save the dates will help you put a guest list and address list together. This is perfect way to get these lists done and over with, well before you need to send out your wedding invitations.
- Stay top of mind. With physical save the dates, you don’t have to worry about your guests losing them in their cluttered inbox. A gorgeous paper save the date will be proudly displayed by your guests and your wedding date will not be forgotten.
- Make a fun keepsake. Your save the dates make a great addition to a wedding album. Use them as keepsakes that you and your guests can cherish and proudly display around the house.
But Do I Really Need To Send Save The Date Cards?
Contrary to popular belief, save the dates are more about your guests than they are about you and your fiancé. Sure, you’ve been smiling about the sweet proposal for weeks. Now it’s time for your loved ones get those same butterflies, too. You’ll be missing out on a huge part of the celebration process if you only let people know about the wedding 6 weeks beforehand with your wedding invitations. Plus, it’s essential to let those who you’d like to see at your wedding ceremony the date of said wedding ceremony—and early, so they can block off the weekend on their calendars. Send your custom save the dates (save the date magnets) early as a gift to friends and family far and wide.