Last Updated: Oct 11, 2018
National Dog Day stands as one of our favorite holidays, so we’ve made a complete guide on all our favorite canine quotes, photos, and things to do. Man’s best friend deserves to be celebrated every day of the year, so make sure you don’t skip out on your furry friend’s big day. Besides, who needs an extra excuse to give your pup an extra sweet treat?
- When Is National Dog Day?
- Pet Holidays: What is Dogs Day?
- Ways To Celebrate Dog Appreciation Day
- National Dog Day Pictures
- National Dog Day Quotes
- Fun National Dog Day Memes
- National Dog Day Instagram
National Dog Day, or Dog Appreciation Day, is celebrated on the 26th of August. For 2018, it falls on a Sunday. In 2019, Dogs Day is scheduled for a Monday. As an all day event, you can celebrate with your furry best friend for as long as you want.
The national holiday Dogs Day first occurred in 2004 after it was started by an animal behaviorist to honor man’s best friend. It also serves as a great opportunity to highlight adoptable dogs and rescue services. The holiday is also known as National Dog Day, Dog Appreciation Day, World’s Dog Day, and International Dog Day.
There’s an endless amount of ways to celebrate National Dog Day. Does your pup love a long walk? Consider taking them on a hike and giving them plenty of time to stop and smell the flowers. Do they have a favorite treat you have to hide away in the cupboard? Give them an extra one (or four) when you get home.
Or if you’re looking for some new and interesting things to do with Fido, look no further. We’ve collected some of our favorite dog-friendly activities for a perfect pet holiday.
Go for a long walk in a new place.
Most dogs love exploring new and interesting places with their best friend. If there’s a downtown area, beach, or local trail you’ve been wanted to check out, take your dog with you. And if your pet is afraid of new places or people, take them on their favorite familiar route.
Host a pet playdate.
Does your dog have another furry best friend? Help them enjoy the holiday together by hosting a playdate. Or take your dog to the dog park to meet plenty of new friends.
Bake a dog friendly treat.
There’s lots of recipes online for doggy cakes, homemade biscuits, and pupsicles. It’s fun to make something homemade for your pet, and they’re sure to love whatever you give them. Plus, if you’re not a fan of baking, you can just pick up your pup’s favorite on the way home.
Donate to your local animal shelter.
Show your best friend how much you care with a donation to help their furry kind find homes of their own. Or if you have the ability, sign up to foster or adopt.
Spoil them silly.
Did you need an excuse to buy that dog bed with your dog’s embroidered name? Or maybe you spotted an adorable pet bandana but had no occasion to buy it. This Dogs Day, take advantage of the excuse and splurge for those fun pet gifts.
Tell them you love them.
It’s simple, easy, and oh-so-important. Don’t forget to tell your best friend how much they mean to you.
Many of us have whole albums dedicated to our pets. Make use of all those puppy photos and pick your favorites to help you celebrate National Dog Day. You can post some on social media, print out your favorites for a scrapbook, or turn them into a new travel mug. And if you find your album lacking, make use of the holiday and do a photoshoot with your dog.
It’s hard to put all the love we have for dogs into words, but it never hurts to try. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite dog quotes. Use them with a photo of your pup on social media, or read them aloud to your furry best friend.
- “Everything I know I learned from dogs.” – Nora Roberts
- “Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” – Agnes Sligh Turnbull
- “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
- “Happiness is a warm puppy.” – Charles Shultz
- “Every dog must have his day.” – Jonathan Swift
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”– Josh Billings
- “I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive.” – Gilda Radner
- “When I needed a hand, I found your paw.” – Unknown
- “Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them are wrong.” – Unknown
- “Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, and filling an emptiness we didn’t ever know we had.” – Thom Jones
- “Love is a four legged word.” – Unknown
- “The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be.” – Konrad Lorenz
- “Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks.” – Roger A. Caras
Memes are a perfect way to share our unconditional love of our goofy, four-legged best friends. A meme, or funny image, gif, or text sent over the internet, is easy to make. You can generate one using a free tool on the internet, or just overlay text over one of your favorite dog photos. You can also take a still from your favorite dog-related show or movie, or alter an already existing meme.
All dogs are born instagram-worthy, so don’t forget to show yours off to the world. And then, with so many great pet photos left unused, don’t forget to turn them into a photo book honoring your best friend.
Additional Dog Holiday Resources
Check out our favorite ideas for an adorable dog photo book that you and your dog can look back on for years to come. And if you’re looking forward to celebrating your pup more than one day a year, check out our additional pets holiday gear, like these pet Christmas stockings.