Having a birthday is such an exciting time, but a 10th birthday is an especially important milestone for a child. From decorating the house to serving the perfect dessert, a parent always wants their child’s 10th birthday to be perfect. Make sure to ask your child who they want at their party, what kind of food they would hope to have, and lastly what theme they want. Whether you want to throw a party at your house, in your backyard, or at another venue, look at our fun 10th birthday party ideas for inspiration.
Jump to a specific section to answer your question:
- 10th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
- 10th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
- Venues for 10th Birthday Parties
- Birthday Party Food for Kids
- 10th Birthday Party Activities
- Invitation Inspiration for 10th Birthday Parties
- 10th Birthday Party Goodie Bag Ideas
10th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
Finding the perfect theme for your little boy’s birthday party can be a difficult task. If you are unsure about the kind of theme to have, look no further. These themes and ideas are sure to be a hit with your son and all of his friends.
If your son likes to play baseball, or has a favorite team he roots for, this baseball themed birthday party is perfect for him. Have all of the guests come in a jersey and set up a movie to watch, such as The Sandlot or The Rookie. For dessert you can serve cupcakes with red and white frosting that mimic baseballs.
Have your child’s superhero dreams come true with this Incredibles birthday party. Have everyone come in their favorite superhero costume. You can play both of the Incredibles movies and serve popcorn to guests as a snack.
Cowabunga! With this surf themed party, people can come in board shorts and rashguards. If you have a pool and it is hot out, consider having the kids swim. You can have a barbecue and watch a movie like Surf’s Up. For dessert, serve surfboard shaped cookies.
Old-Fashioned Movie Night
An old-fashioned movie night is the perfect option if you want a more casual and lowkey birthday party. For decorations, have cutouts of film on the walls. Serve popcorn in striped popcorn bowls, and pick the birthday boy’s favorite movie to play.
If your child loves space, decorate the house with stars and cutouts of different planets. As an activity, you can make alien antennas with pipe cleaners and foam balls. You can also create spaceships out of cardboard boxes for everyone to play with. For dessert, make alien shaped cookies and have guests decorate them.
10th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
Parents always want to do their best when it comes to finding the perfect theme for their little girl. Creating a picturesque birthday party is hard to do, and but choosing the right theme for it doesn’t have to be.
Give this classic birthday party theme a makeover. Have girls come in pajamas, and pick an assortment of different movies they can watch. Provide an array of nail polish for the girls and help them do their nails. For snacks and dessert you can make “muddy buddies” if they aren’t allergic to peanuts. You can also have a sundae bar and potentially get karaoke for them to do.
If you little girl’s dream is to have a fairytale birthday, give her just that. Have all of the girls dress up in their favorite princess outfits. Provide glitter for them to put on their faces. Have butterflies and balloons of the birthday girl’s favorite colors around the house. Before the guests leave, give out tiaras or king crowns in the goodie bags.
Sometimes, little girls want to feel like fancy adults. Having a tea party themed birthday is the perfect way to do this. Decorate the tables in lace, and tell guests to come in “tea party attire”, or dresses, gloves, and hats. Have places set, let them choose their tea, and make the tea for them. You can make little sandwiches and have tea cookies for food.
Another great fantasy land to theme a party after is Candyland. For decorations and snacks, have giant glass bowls filled with different sweets. The birthday girl can wear a crown, and others can come dressed in their favorite princess dresses. As an activity, everyone can make candy jewelry. If your budget allows, you could even rent a cotton candy machine to make the experience even more magical.
A dance party is the perfect way to celebrate a birthday. You can have games like Just Dance for people to play and compile a bunch of the birthday girl’s favorite songs. Have feather boas and sparkly sunglasses for the girls to play dress up in. You can even join in on the fun and dance the night away!
Venues for 10th Birthday Parties
Sometimes it’s nice to go to a venue rather than having a birthday party at your house. If you don’t want to host the party at your house or you are having a smaller group of people the following venues are perfect options for 10th birthday parties.
- Bowling Alley: This is a fun activity for people of all ages. If some of the birthday boy or girl’s family is joining for the celebrations this is a great idea. Pick a bowling alley that also provides food or lets you bring dessert.
- Movie Theaters: If there is a specific movie coming out
- Bouncy House: There are different venues that have bouncy houses available. Many times it is for children’s birthday parties, so they allow you to bring food and have dessert. You can also rent a bouncy house for your yard for some added fun.
- Park Party: Having a birthday at a park is free and especially nice when the weather is good. Bring all of the food you would have served, and decorate before all of the guests arrive. This is a perfect option for people with larger parties or that want to have a “backyard party” without using their own backyard.
- Skating Rink: If your budget allows, going to a skating rink is a super fun activity for kids. Make sure you check it is okay with the parents before planning or making a reservation at a rink. You can either go ice skating or roller skating, but no matter what, it is sure to be a hit.
Birthday Party Food for Kids
Serving food to kids at birthday parties can be hard, especially if everyone has different preferences and allergies. The following are some food ideas that are easy, interactive, and sure to be a crowd pleaser at your child’s 10th birthday party.
- Chips & Dip: Keep it classic and serve guacamole or salsa with chips. If you want to make this idea healthier, consider serving hummus as the dip and vegetables instead of chips. This is not only easy to prepare and set out, but it is easy to eat.
- Make Your Own Pizza: Making pizza is both an activity and food in one! Provide dough for toppings and have kids decorate their pizza however they want. Making these mini pizzas is the best way to ensure that everyone will like what is on their pizza.
- Pigs in a Blanket: This is a simple, creative, and fun activity for the kids at the party. Get already made flaky dough for crescent rolls and hot dogs at the store. Cut the hot dogs into smaller pieces, and wrap the flaky dough around the hot dogs. Bake them in the oven until they are golden brown.
10th Birthday Party Activities
Birthday parties for younger kids require a little more planning in terms of activities. Kids easily move from doing one thing to the next, so it is important to have some for activity for everyone to participate in. For parties with or without a theme, the following birthday party activity ideas are sure to entertain everyone.
- Scavenger Hunt: This is a classic game that will keep the children at the party entertained for as long as you like. Make a scavenger hunt and divide guests into teams. Whichever team finishes first gets a prize. Try to find a prize that matches the theme of the party, or give them gold coins that resemble treasure.
- Cookie Making: This idea handles the dessert and activity in one! Have the cookie dough already made and cut out into different shapes. Bake the dough and then provide icing and sprinkles for the kids to decorate them with.
- DIY Mugs: Get plain mugs from the store and buy paint for the mugs. Have kids decorate them and let out their creative side.
Invitation Inspiration for 10th Birthday Parties
Once you have the party planning down, make sure that you send out the invitations on time. Send them out up to 2 months before the party. You can personalize an invitation to fit any theme. You can also try making the writing sound like it fits the theme. For example, if the theme is “princess” you can write “you are cordially invited to Princess ______ birthday party.” You can also include glitter or foil accents on the card to make the birthday invitation pop.
10th Birthday Party Goodie Bag Ideas
Having guests leave empty handed is considered bad etiquette, so make sure to provide some sort of goodie bag for all of the children. This added gift will make their day. Fill goodie bags with hershey kisses or stickers. If you want to give them a gift that will keep them entertained, consider giving out bouncy balls or a bubble wand.
A 10th birthday is a big milestone in a child’s life. They finally have gotten to double-digits and that is definitely a reason to celebrate. Be sure to include them in the planning so that they can let you know what their ideal theme would be. Browse other birthday ideas for birthday party ideas for all ages and kinds.