The holiday season is here! Before you start decking the halls and buying gifts, one of the first things you’ll want to do is plan out your holiday cards. Christmas greeting cards are typically sent out about 2-3 weeks before Christmas, so it’s a good idea to start planning your cards early in the holiday season.
If you’re unsure where to start in making your own Christmas cards, this article will help guide you in the right direction. From choosing the layout to deciding where to print your Christmas photo cards, the process is simple. In no time, you’ll have beautiful, personalized Christmas cards that are ready to be addressed and sent to your loved ones.
If you prefer a DIY project, create a custom Christmas card this season. You can create a photo collage featuring some of your favorite moments from the year, or you can choose one photo of all of your family members. Add a holiday greeting that includes a personalized message with a festive theme and color scheme. From classic green and red to shimmery gold, the possibilities are endless! After you choose your theme, finish the process by picking a matching envelope that ties your holiday card together.
Wondering the step-by-step instructions to creating Christmas cards? It’s simple! The first step is to gather a few items, including the pictures you want to use on your Christmas photo cards. It’s also a good idea to have a message and theme idea in mind as you start working on your holiday cards. Here are all the items you’ll need to make your DIY Christmas cards:
- Your favorite photos
- Personalized message
- Style and theme idea
- Layout idea
- Font idea
As you start creating your cards, one of the first things you’ll want to decide on is a layout. Consider the size of your Christmas card, if you’d like to have a flat or folded card, and how many photos you want to include. Here’s everything you’ll want to take into consideration as you create your card design.
How To Choose Your Card Layout
- Choose vertical or horizontal. Decide if you want your holiday cards to be vertical or horizontal.
- Pick the size of your card. The size options are 5×5, 5×7, and 6×8.
- Decide how many photos you want to include. You can include up to 13 of your favorite photos.
- Play around with the card design. Move your photos around and resize them until you find a layout that you love.
Pick Your Card Format, Paper, And Trim
- Format: Choose from 5×5, 5×7, or 6×8.
- Paper: Options include smooth or shimmer cardstock.
- Trim: Decide between rounded, square, scallop, bracket, or ticket.
- Rounded: Works well with folded and postcard-style cards.
- Square: Works with folded and postcard-style cards.
- Scallop: Works well with postcard-style cards.
- Bracket: Works well with postcard-style cards.
- Ticket: Works well with postcard-style cards.
Once you’ve decided on your holiday card design, the next step is to upload your photos. First, decide if you’d like to use a single photo or if you want to create a collage. Then, start picking out the images that you’d like to include in your photo cards.
If you’re unsure about what pictures you want to include, here are some tips for picking photos that will look beautiful on your DIY Christmas cards:
- Festive theme. Pick photos that fit into one theme—for example, you could choose outdoor photos that all include snow.
- Color scheme. Consider picking photos with a similar color scheme (like black and white) for uniformity.
- Favorite memories. List out some of your favorite moments from throughout the year, and choose photos from those moments.
- Fun background. Stage a photo with a festive background. For instance, you could pose in front of a Christmas tree that’s surrounded by personalized gifts.
- Various photos. Use a mixture of photos of your whole family and individual family members. You can even include your pets!
- Travel mementos. If you traveled somewhere during the year, consider including a photo or two from your trip.
- Include props. Use holiday-themed props in your photos. Include photos of you and your family wearing matching Santa hats or holding personalized gifts that are wrapped in red and green paper.
- New location. Consider including photos from an unconventional location—for instance, you could include photos of your family wearing Santa hats on the beach.
After you’ve finished designing your photo Christmas cards, it’s time to begin working on creating your envelopes. To make your holiday card stand out, choose a bold, bright envelope with a theme that matches your card. Here’s how to personalize your card envelopes:
- Stay consistent. Choose a theme that fits with your personalized Christmas card.
- Consider a custom envelope theme. Include a message like ‘Deliver To’, ‘Happy Holidays’, or ‘Cheers.’ Then, choose a festive design for your envelope.
- Pick your color scheme. Consider using a solid color envelope that complements your card’s color scheme like red, silver, or gold.
- Include a message. Make it as personalized as possible.
Once your Christmas cards are all ready to go, now all that’s left is to address your cards. To add another festive touch to your envelopes, consider using Christmas address labels and personalized stamps. Here are some tips to help you when it’s time to address your cards:
- Create a list of who you’re sending the cards to.
- Keep your budget in mind as you’re ordering your cards and writing out your list. If your list is long and you’re worried about going over budget, consider sending acquaintances online Christmas cards.
- Have your addresses handy as you start creating your cards.
- Use a high-quality pen to write out the addresses. If you’re sending a large number of cards, consider typing out the addresses.
Your photo Christmas cards are in their envelopes and addressed, and now all that’s left is to send them out. If you’re looking for another fun DIY project to do after you’re finished with your customized Christmas cards, consider pairing with a creative gift for your loved ones.
Sending out Christmas cards is a great way to show your loved ones you’re thinking about them during the holiday season. When you create personalized cards, you can design a card layout that’s unique to your style.
If you’re looking to create your own Christmas cards, the options are endless. Begin uploading your photos and designing your personalized Christmas cards. Once your Christmas cards are all ready to go, it’s time to shop for personalized gifts that are perfect for everyone on your list.