Last Updated: Jan 30, 2018
Stay ahead of the curve this holiday season by sending out your holiday cards on time! You can beat the rush to the post office and avoid rush shipping charges by finding out the perfect time frame for sending off your greetings. The holiday season calls for specific mailing times and we’re here to help you meet your deadline with a few simple tips on when and how to send off holiday cards.
When to Send Out Holiday Cards?
Sending out holiday cards can seem a bit stressful and tedious, especially if you’re mailing off large quantities. However, if you start your holiday card planning early you can avoid additional stress once your other holiday season projects kick off. There’s nothing like sending a card to loved ones by way of mail and having your photo holiday card serve as a keepsake. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Organize your mailing list: Before you send off your holiday cards, take some time to gather all of the addresses that you’ll be sending cards to so you can address your envelopes faster. It’s important to have all of the recipients’ names and addresses prepared ahead of time so your mailing process goes smoothly.
- Address your cards: Another major step in sending off your lovely cards is figuring out how to address them. If you’re sending a card to a close friend or loved one, you can address them casually without a title. However, if you’re sending a card to a colleague or individual you’re not close with, be sure to use titles and keep in mind if they have a professional title or not.
- Write a nice holiday message: Always write a heartfelt message and send season’s greetings when drafting your holiday card. You can also add a holiday saying to make your message standout. What goes inside your holiday card is just as important as presentation so be sure to use tips on what to write in a holiday card to perfect your message.
- Choose a closing: Before stuffing your envelopes, don’t forget to sign your holiday card with a warm signature. You can choose your card closings based on your relationship with the recipient. Some closings will be professional for business holiday cards and others super friendly for loved ones.
- Send out Holiday cards on time: The best time to send out Holiday cards is the first week of December. This is a great time frame to use if you want to avoid the risk of your cards arriving too late. You can even send your cards out in early-mid November to avoid the holiday card rush, as long as you’re sending a general “Happy Holidays” card. However, if you’re sending out Christmas cards specifically, you shouldn’t send cards out earlier than the week before Thanksgiving so your greeting doesn’t seem overzealous. Christmas cards should be sent in the first week of December.
- Sending cards out-of-state or overseas: If you’re a sending holiday card to friend or family member that doesn’t live in your state or country, send out your Holiday cards in advance. We suggest sending your card to any recipients out of the country at the start of November, to allow for lengthy shipping times and delays.
The holiday season is a cheerful one and sending out your cards the ‘snail mail’ way is a good tradition to start or continue. If this is your first time sending out custom holiday cards, rely on the steps above to get you across the finish line. If you’re already a pro at sending out cards, you can check out our article on how to address holiday cards for some inspiration and creative ways to make your holiday card unforgettable this time around.