Last Updated: Dec 1, 2016
Your wedding day is just as emotional for your father as it is for you and the father daughter dance is a special moment of the evening made just for the two of you. From the day you were born you had a special place in your dad’s heart and you always will. This dance symbolizes the relationship you have with your dad so, you’ll want to be sure to select the perfect song. With a little planning and preparation, your father daughter dance will be everything you’ve imagined.
The best father daughter wedding songs are those that say, “I’ll always be your little girl”. No matter which genre or decade you choose, each of the father daughter dance songs on our list below have meaningful lyrics that will help you show your appreciation and love for dad.
How to Pick a Father Daughter First Dance Song?
Before you choose a father daughter song to play at your wedding, make sure you think about what exactly you’ll want the song to express. Is an upbeat tune more fitting or a slow ballad? Is there a certain genre perfect for the two of you or a particular tune the both of you love? The lyrics of a song are a great way to express your emotions and make sure Dad knows just how much you appreciate him.
If you are unsure where to start, use the four steps below to pick a father daughter first dance song. These tips will help you select a unique song that will touch the hearts of your family and friends at your wedding reception.
- Think about how you would like to honor your relationship with your dad. Your dad is a one-of-a-kind man and you’ll want the wedding song you choose to reflect that. Thinking about your relationship is the perfect place to start when you’re searching for inspiration because it can leave you with a ton of great ideas. Is there anything in particular that stands out? How about a certain song that has a special place in both of your hearts? Encompass the feelings of love and admiration that the both of you have for each other through your song selection.
- Consider certain decades or genres that might have a special place in your hearts. Aside from making sure that the both of you will absolutely adore the song you select, you can use certain decades or genres as the perfect way to narrow down your options. If you aren’t sitting down with your dad to select the song together, use his favorite decades or genres to make your decision easier.
- Consider if a slow song or something upbeat is more fitting. The classic slow dance is tradition for father daughter wedding dance songs, although if “sentimental” doesn’t exactly feel right for you and your dad then pick something that does. The song you choose doesn’t need to be a slow tear-jerker to reflect the love you and your dad share. An upbeat rock song can have just the same effect as a ballad, if it represents you and your father.
- Take a dance class with Dad. Seeing as all eyes will be on you and Dad when you take the floor for your first dance, it can’t hurt to enroll in a few dance classes together. Sign up to learn the waltz or choreograph a special number just for your big day and who knows, the dance you learn may help guide your song selection.
- Have fun with your song selection. Regardless of which decade or genre you choose your song from, it will be memorable because you selected it. Don’t forget to cherish these little wedding planning moments when you’re in the middle of your wedding journey.
Who Picks the Father Daughter Dance Song?
The bride and her father are usually the ones who select the father daughter dance song. Whether it is a combination of the both of you or one or the other, it’s really up to personal preference who you designate this job to. Traditionally, the bride is the one who selects the song seeing as this portion of the evening is meant to serve as a tribute to your father. You can make the moment extra meaningful by selecting a song to surprise your dad with. On the other hand, sitting down and choosing a song with your father will not only ensure that the both of you will love the song, but will also allow for some extra bonding time before your big day.
When is the Father Daughter Dance?
The father daughter dance takes place immediately after the newlywed’s first dance as husband and wife. Traditionally, the father-daughter dance would come before the newlywed’s first dance and symbolize the father passing on his daughter to her new husband who would then dance her away. More modern weddings opt for having the newlywed’s first dance as bride and groom kick off the reception, followed by the father daughter dance song and then the mother son dance song. Depending on your wedding timeline and how you would like to kick off your wedding reception the order of your wedding dances may vary.
Ballad Father Daughter Dance Songs
|Song Title||Song Artist||Year|
|The Way You Look Tonight||Frank Sinatra||1964|
|What a Wonderful World||Louis Armstrong||1967|
|Brown Eyed Girl||Van Morrison||1967|
|You Are So Beautiful||Joe Cocker||1975|
|Shower The People||James Taylor||1976|
|Wonderful Tonight||Eric Clapton||1978|
|Just The Way You Are||Billy Joel||1978|
|Could I Have This Dance||Anne Murray||1980|
|Unforgettable||Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole||1991|
|Can You Feel The Love Tonight||Elton John||1994|
|Butterfly Kisses||Bob Carlisle||1997|
|Make You Feel My Love||Adele||2011|
Oldies Father Daughter Dance Songs
|Song Title||Song Artist||Year|
|Love Me Tender||Elvis Presley||1956|
|Memories Are Made Of This||Dean Martin||1956|
|True Love Ways||Buddy Holly||1958|
|Stand By Me||Ben E. King||1961|
|You Belong To Me||Duprees||1962|
|In My Life||Beatles||1965|
|God Only Knows||Beach Boys||1966|
|My Cherie Amour||Stevie Wonder||1969|
|Colour My World||Chicago||1971|
|Tiny Dancer||Elton John||1972|
|Tupelo Honey||Van Morrison||1972|
Father Daughter Country Songs
|Song Title||Song Artist||Year|
|Daddy's Hands||Holly Dunn||1986|
|Love Without End, Amen||George Strait||1990|
|When You Say Nothing At All||Alison Krauss||1995|
|I Hope You Dance||Lee Ann Womack||2000|
|Then They Do||Trace Adkins||2003|
|Tough Little Boys||Gary Allan||2003|
|I Loved Her First||Heartland||2006|
|My Little Girl||Tim McGraw||2006|
|Ready, Set, Don't Go||Billy Ray Cyrus||2007|
|You're Gonna Miss This||Trace Adkins||2008|
|I'll Be There||Josh Turner||2010|
|Just Fishin'||Trace Adkins||2011|
Music is a big part of most weddings and whether you decide to hire a band, a DJ or play the soundtrack on your own, you will still be tasked with selecting from a long list of unique father daughter dance songs. Between making sure that everything goes smoothly, situating the finishing touches for your big day, and ordering your wedding thank you cards, make sure you find the time to select a touching first dance tune.
Your wedding photographer will be quick to capture this precious moment and you’ll have plenty of photos to design a personalized wedding photo album. Use our tips on how to make your own wedding photo album to create the perfect keepsake. With just a little thought, practice, and planning, you’ll be able to find a song made just for the two of you. Now that you’ve got your song selection taken care of, make sure that all of the other wedding details go smoothly with our creative list of wedding ideas and more.