Wedding toasts give you the opportunity to honor the newlyweds and share your love for the couple. You’ll want your toast to be heartfelt, sentimental, witty and most importantly, you’ll want your toast to make the couple smile. Normally, talking about your best friend is a piece of cake but when it comes to giving a speech about them in front of a crowd, you may not know what to say. Before you invite guests to raise their glasses alongside you, assure that your speech is well thought-out, genuine, and sentimental with a bit of humor.
Who Gives a Wedding Toast?
While there are a handful of toasts made at each of the events leading up to the big day, the wedding reception toasts are the most formal of all. Traditionally, the best man kicks off the wedding toasts at the reception followed by a toast from the maid of honor. In addition to the best man and maid of honor toasts, the wedding host or financier usually toasts the couple as well. Parents of the bride/groom may be invited to say a few words too. Before you begin crafting your wedding speech, it’s important to consider who will have the mic before you that way you can ensure the toasts complement each other and flow nicely.
Wedding reception toasts traditionally follow this order:
- The best man toasts the bride.
- The matron of honor toasts the groom.
- The wedding host/financier toasts the couple.
- Parents or parental figures of the bride/groom toast the couple.
- The newlyweds toast their guests.
If you are looking to add something extra to your wedding toast or inspire your ode to the couple, you can do so with these great wedding toast quotes provided below. Borrow words from your favorite writers and personalities as you wish the couple good luck in life and in love.
Best Man Quotes
As the best man, you will be starting off the wedding toasts for the evening, no pressure though, we’re here to help you craft the perfect speech. You’ll want your toast to tastefully let your buddy know just how much you care about him and just how thankful you are that he found “the one.” You can begin your toast by thanking the brides parents for raising such an exceptional daughter who complements the groom so well. You may then decide to tell the story of the first time the newlyweds laid eyes on each other making sure to use a bit of humor while doing so. If you’re looking for something extra to take your best man toast over the top, you may even consider adding a few best man quotes to your speech. They may inspire you and they will definitely impress everyone in the venue, especially the bride.
- “The most precious possession that ever comes to a man in this world is a woman’s heart.” –Timothy Titcomb, J.G. Holland
- “You know you are in love when you see the world in her eyes, and her eyes are everywhere in the world.” –David Levesque
- “He who wants to do good, knocks at the gate: he who loves finds the door open.” –Rabindranath Tagore
- “There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day, knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps.” –Ronald Reagan
- “It’s not as great a day for the bride as she thinks. She’s not marrying the best man.” –Anonymous
- “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.” –Sophocles
- “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” –Victor Borge
- “There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage.” –Martin Luther
- ” A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” –Mignon McLaughlin
- “But let there be spaces in your togetherness and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.” –Kahlil Gibran
- “Whenever you’re wrong, admit it; whenever you’re right, shut up.” –Ogden Nash
- “To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.” –Mark Twain
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” –Audrey Hepburn
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep, because your reality is finally better than your dreams.” –Dr. Seuss
- “When love reigns, the impossible may be attained.” –Indian proverb
- “Love, be true to her; Life, be dear to her; Health, stay close to her; Joy, draw near to her; Fortune, find what you can do for her, Search your treasure-house through and through for her, Follow her footsteps the wide world over, And keep her husband always her lover.” –Anna Lewis
Maid of Honor Quotes
The best wedding toasts are the ones that remind everyone in the room how important and special finding love is. These maid of honor quotes were made with you in mind and will help you create a touching toast for the woman you adore and the man that brings out the best in her. Give your toast a long lasting emotional impact with inspirational quotes that complete your toast.
- “One of the best things about love is just recognizing a man’s steps when he climbs the stairs.” –Colette
- “Where there is great love, there are always miracles.” –Willa Cather
- “We love because it’s the only true adventure.” –Nikki Giovanni
- “In a great romance, each person plays a part the other really likes.” –Elizabeth Ashley
- “My greatest wish for the two of you is that through the years your love for each other will so deepen and grow, that years from now you will look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least.” –Anonymous
- “True love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.” –Anonymous
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” –John Green
- “Love one another and you will be happy. It’s as simple and as difficult as that.” –Michael Leunig
- “Love does not consist of gazing at one another but looking outward in the same direction.” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- “Love is being stupid together.” –Paul Valery
- “Love is blind, marriage is the eye-opener.” –Pauline Thomason
- “My heart is ever at your service.” –William Shakespeare
- “Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful and endures through every circumstance.” –1 Corinthians 13:7
- “Sexiness wears thin after a while, and beauty fades. But to be married to a man who makes you laugh everyday, ah, now that’s a real treat.”-Joanne Woodward
- “There’s nothing more admirable than two people who see eye to eye keeping house as man and wife, cofounding their enemies and delighting their friends.” –Homer
- “Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.” –Rose Franken
- “Everyone admits that love is wonderful and necessary, yet no one agrees on just what it is.” –Diane Ackerman
- “Love is everything it’s cracked up to be. That’s why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don’t risk anything, you risk even more. –Erica Jong
- “The best marriages, like the best lives, were both happy and unhappy. There was even a kind of necessary tension, a certain tautness between the partners that gave the marriage strength, like the tautness of a full sail.” –Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- “What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined…to strengthen each other…to be at one with each other in silent unspeakable memories.” –George Eliot
Finding the right words to express your emotions can be difficult especially with all of the other obligations on your wedding checklist. Use these quotes for wedding toasts to jump start your writing and craft a wedding toast that’s unforgettable. Quotes about love, marriage and friendship make for a great addition to your wedding wishes for the bride and groom. You can also practice by writing your wedding card early.
While you’re crafting your wedding toast, remember to take this moment in and cherish all of the special memories you share with the bride or groom and the many more to come. When the big day finally arrives, don’t forget to talk slow, breath, and remind yourself how great your toast is. Don’t miss out on our other wedding inspiration to help you wrap up the rest of your planning.