When you’re writing a get well card it’s important to select your words wisely. Your well wishes have the power to aid in someone’s recovery and bring a smile to their face. By shining light on the positives and looking to the future you will make someone feel better with your kind words, but it’s not always easy to know exactly what to say. Before you fill the blank space of your get well card, you’ll need to consider three things: the person you are writing to, your relationship with them, and the condition they are in. Whether you’re looking for inspirational quotes, get well wishes after surgery, messages for essential workers, or funny get well wishes to lift spirits, we have you covered with everything you need to know about what to write in a get well card below.
We know how important it is to stay connected to each other and to acknowledge, support and thank the people around us, especially right now. From providing inspiration to our community, to supplying equipment to our front lines, see how Shutterfly For Good is committed to making a positive impact in any moment.
- What to Write in a Get Well Card
- Classic Get Well Wishes
- Religious Get Well Wishes and Verses
- Funny Get Well Wishes
- Popular Get Well Soon Quotes
- Additional Get Well Messages
What To Write In A Get Well Card
Writing thoughtful get well wishes and adding inspiring get well soon quotes to your greeting card is the best way to show someone you are thinking of them during a tough time. Remember that personalization is key and a heartfelt get well soon message can do so much more than any other gift.
1. Use A Warm Greeting To Start Your Get Well Sentiment
Take into consideration who you are writing to as well as circumstances. Both of these details are important and will set the tone for your message. “Dear” is a safe standby, but you can choose to go with a warmer greeting if you are writing to friends, family or others you may have close relationships with.
2. Write A Few Get Well Wishes
Start your card off with well-wishes that are specific to what the recipient is going through. Adding statements that instill hope and optimism will be a fundamental part of helping someone heal. Don’t dwell on the negatives, make sure that your wishes stay positive, upbeat and have the power to inspire.
3. Express Your Love In Get Well Messages
If you are close to the card recipient, write a get well saying that expresses your love and gratefulness. Add an anecdote or inside joke that the two of you share to ensure you will bring a smile to their face. It’s also easier to write a funny get well wish and add humor to the greeting card if you and the recipient are close.
4. If Religious, Send Prayers in Get Well Messages
If you share a religious bond with the card recipient, let them know that they are in your prayers. It can be encouraging for someone going through something serious to know that they are in your prayers. Shining light on the faith you share is another way to show your compassion.
5. Use Get Well Quotes
Use quotes to offer encouragement. Change someone’s habits, mind, and emotions with an inspirational quote they can identify with during a difficult time. Don’t be afraid to borrow a few words from an award-winning author or inspirational figure. Quotes are the perfect way to offer encouragement.
6. Remind Them You’re Thinking of Them
Tell them you’re thinking about them. Letting someone know that they are in your thoughts provides a sense of love and support for someone who is going through a hard time. Comforting words can make all the difference to your get well card message.
7. Be Empathetic
Try to understand this person’s feelings or emotions and make sure that your message and tone reflect that. Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes will help you find the right words to say. Avoid overthinking this part of your message and don’t let the fear of saying the wrong thing cause you to say nothing at all. However, do your best to avoid minimizing what the person is going through just because you may be able to relate.
8. Offer Your Support
When someone gets ill or becomes injured, even day to day activities become difficult to do. If you have the time and opportunity to help out in any way, offer to do so in your get well soon card. Some ideas include helping out with meals, cleaning up around the house, offering childcare or anything else that you see fit for the situation. In most situations, people won’t ask for help so you offering to do so is a great way to show that you care. Be specific when you are offering to help out and make sure that you follow through with what you’ve offered.
9. Sign Off With A Warm Closing
You’ll want to close your get well card with a warm closing. For example: “thinking of you”, “take care” and “wishing you healing” are all perfect ways to wrap up your card.
Get Well Wishes
Common get well wishes include mentioning hopes for feeling better, speedy recovery messages, and words that let the card recipient know that you are thinking of them. Short and sweet get well wishes are the perfect thing to write in a get well soon card for any recipient. Use one of the wishes below or try combining a few to create a longer and more meaningful message.
Examples for Get Well Wishes:
- Feel better soon!
- Hope you feel better soon.
- Hoping you find strength with each new day. You are in our thoughts.
- Have a speedy recovery!
- I hope each new day brings you closer to a full and speedy recovery!
- May good health envelop you, spurring a quick recovery.
- Thinking of you lots and hoping for your speedy recovery.
- We’re all thinking about you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
- Hang in there, better days are coming.
- Hope you feel a little better every day.
- Sending good, healthy vibes your way.
- Sending hugs and love!
- Remember to just take it one day at a time and in no time, you will be completely healthy and smiling once again.
- You’re in all of our warmest thoughts as you recover from your accident.
- Best wishes for a little progress and a little encouragement everyday during your recuperation.
- Best wishes that you will soon be back to doing all the things you love.
- May the good wishes and warm thoughts of those who care about you send a little cheerfulness into your world and help you feel better.
Religious Get Well Wishes And Verses
Adding religious get well wishes or verses to your get well note is a great way to share your faith and encourage someone in their spirits during difficult times. These well wishes serve as a shining light that can often provide a sense of personal comfort when someone is struggling. Try out one of the religious sentiments below and let your card provide a source of strength to those who could use a few words of encouragement.
Examples of Religious Get Well Wishes:
- Praying for you!
- You are in my thoughts and prayers during your time of recovery.
- As I close my eyes to pray every night, my only request is that God will heal you speedily. I wish you a quick recovery!
- Thoughtful prayers are being sent your way with the hopes that you will feel better soon.
- Thinking of you during this time of illness, and praying you will find strength in the Lord and his never-ending supply of love.
- God cares and hears our prayers, and I am praying for you today!
- Know God promises to give strength when you need it and that we are praying for you to have strength and peace as you face health challenges.
- We don’t always get to know the reasons we go through struggles in this life. There is a bigger plan, and it is all in His hands. I am praying for you.
- Prayer is the best medicine that doctors don’t write prescriptions for. Don’t worry, I’ll supply you with a healthy dose of prayer.
- Hope each day finds you stronger and full of joy. God Bless You.
Examples of Religious Get Well Verses:
- God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
- Call unto Me, and I will answer you… Jeremiah 33:3
- His compassions, they fail not. They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23
- The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him and I am helped. Psalm 28:7
- He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:29
- I leave with you; my peace I give to you. John 14:27
Funny Get Well Wishes
If you’re writing a get well card to someone who you know would appreciate a little humor, writing light-hearted words may be the best way to put a smile on their face. Make sure that your get well message is appropriate for the situation and the recipient. The last thing you’ll want to do is offend the recipient, so be sensitive when crafting your funny get well wishes. We’ve provided a variety of funny get well wishes below that you can use in your card.
Examples of Funny Get Well Wishes:
- You’re one tough cookie!
- See? You’re so great, even germs like you.
- Germs, like everyone else, find you irresistible! Get well soon!
- There are easier ways to get out of school, you know. Glad you’re on the mend.
- Use your superpowers and get well soon!
- Try not to think of it as a hospital stay. Think of it as a spa package that includes meals, regular health evaluations and jello cubes.
- I may not have a medical degree, but I do have friendship’s healing touch. Get well soon!
- You better swing back into action fast so that we can have a blast!
- Get well soon so we can make fun of you again and not feel bad.
- Sorry your sick day is due to actual sickness.
- Go ahead and milk this as long as you can. I would.
Get Well Soon Quotes
Using a few famous get well soon quotes can help you provide inspiration and courage for those trying to get back on their feet. These feel better quotes will help you get started on your message and ultimately help you decide what to say in a get well card. Pick and choose from the quotes below or check out our resource on gratitude quotes.
Examples of Get Well Soon Quotes:
- “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” -Anonymous
- “Be strong because things will get better. It may be stormy now, but it never rains forever.” -Anonymous
- “Tough times don’t last, tough people do.” -Anonymous
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” -Nelson Mandela
- “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” -Charles R. Swendoll
- “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” -Arthur Ashe
- “We should not give up and we should not allow the problem to defeat us.” -A.P.J. Absul Kalam
- “Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.”-George S. Patton
- “What you do today can improve all of your tomorrows.” -Ralph Marston
- “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” -Albert Einstein
- “This too shall pass.” -Persian Sufi Poets
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” -Helen Keller
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” -C.S. Lewis
- “Although the world is full of suffering, it’s full also of the overcoming it.” -Helen Keller
- “Today, I am going to let my burdens go. I am going to face this day and have faith that everything will get better.” -Anonymous
- “I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.” -Anonymous
Recovery is a time that calls for a lot of support and love. Use your get well card as an opportunity to provide words of encouragement and make a difference in someone’s healing process. Check out the additional get well soon messages below for help:
- I want to remind you how strong you are. We’re thinking about you everyday and wishing for a fast recovery.
- Recovery is hard work—but you’re not alone. Not a day goes by that you aren’t thought of and wished well.
- Now’s the time to rest and recuperate! Hope you get better soon!
- Get better and get back to your amazing self soon!
- I realized just how much I need you when you’re out of commission. Get better soon!
- If you need me to come over and tell you that you don’t look sick, call me. Always here to help!
- Hope you bounce back soon! Then we’ll make sure to celebrate!
- Sending you lots of feel-better hugs!
- Take your sweet time getting well!
- Sending good, healthy vibes your way.
- Warmest wishes for a speedy recovery!
- Miss you around here!
Send Well Wishes to Essential Workers
Essential workers like doctors, nurses, grocery store clerks, and more could use our support right now. Send them a homemade thank you card or piece of art that sends warm wishes their way and shows your appreciation for their hard work. With your kids, decorate creative thank you cards and artwork that can be sent to hospitals and clinics or displayed outside your home. To show gratitude, share your child’s artwork with the hashtag #CreateThanks. Shutterfly will transform their creative works of art into thank you cards and posters and deliver them to essential organizations. Find more information and check out the #CreateThanks digital gallery here.
Resources Related to Get Well Wishes
Expressing your sympathy and letting a loved one know that they can count on you during a time of healing is a great way to show you care. We have you covered on what to write in a sympathy card as well as thoughtful sympathy quotes for you to use. You can also acknowledge the pain this person is going through by adding a few heartfelt condolence messages to your card.
A well-written message serves as a thoughtful gesture that can make a difference for someone going through difficult times. While you are crafting your get well messages, keep our guidelines in mind and remember that the best wishes are the ones that come from the heart. And make sure to check out our resource on how to cheer someone up for additional ideas.