Last Updated: Dec 5, 2016
Say congratulations to a loved one on their engagement with a special message that feels unique and personal. Whether you’re sending an engagement card to a friend or family member, your message should always include your warm wishes for the couple as they begin this new chapter in their journey together. If you’re stressed out about finding the perfect words to say, we have you covered with valuable tips on what to write in an engagement card, so you can shower the bride or groom to be with love.
Jump to any section below:
- What to Write in an Engagement Card Message
- Engagement Card Message Examples
- Engagement Congratulations
- Engagement Wishes
- Engagement Quotes
- Funny Engagement Quotes
- When to Send an Engagement Card
What to Write in an Engagement Card Message
Your engagement card message should reflect your relationship with the newly engaged recipient or couple, all while including customary engagement greetings. Follow these three rules below when writing your engagement card in order to make your writing process easy.
- Congratulate the couple first. The initial phrase that the couple reads should be a short and simple “congratulations” phrase. You won’t spend too much time worrying about how to begin your card if you follow this simple tip.
- Write a heartfelt message that is unique to your relationship with the recipient or couple. This can be a funny engagement message with an inside joke or a sentimental message with a memory about the couple, as long as it feels personalized to the nature of your relationship with the recipient. This is the most important section of any engagement card and should be genuine.
- Send your well wishes. Look to the future by letting the recipient or couple know what your well wishes are. Whether you’re wishing the couple endless years of laughter or wishing them a flawless wedding planning process, wishes are comforting at the end of a card.
Engagement Card Message Examples
Your engagement card message should be sentimental and reflective of your history with the recipient. As mentioned earlier, you can include a short memory about the newly engaged couple, in addition to letting your friend or loved one know how happy you are for them. We’ve provided an example for a bit of inspiration below:
Congratulations on your wedding engagement! I’m so happy to hear that you and _________ are taking the next step together.
I’ve enjoyed watching you grow as a person so much. I remember when you and John first met and how instant your connection with him was. I’m excited that you two have found love and I can’t wait to help you prepare for your wedding. I’m always here for you and look forward to watching your relationship blossom.
May your love shine brighter and your companionship grow richer with each passing day.
Always let the lovebirds know what you’re congratulating them on to set the tone for your card’s purpose. Choose a short congratulatory phrase from below to start your card off right.
- Congratulations on your wedding engagement!
- Congratulations to a beautiful couple. I’m so happy to hear that you and _________ are taking the next step together.
- Congratulations to the future bride and groom! I’m excited about this new chapter in your life.
- Congratulations on your new journey together.
- Congratulations on taking this exciting step together.
- Congratulations on finding each other. Your engagement is wonderful news.
- Congratulations on finding forever! I’m overjoyed that you have found your perfect love.
- Congratulations on this sweet occasion of your engagement!
- Heartiest congratulations to the beautiful couple.
After writing a personalized message, end your card with engagement wishes that make the couple feel surrounded by love and hope about their future. When it comes to engagement wishes, you can choose one wish or mix and match wishes that you feel are important to the couple’s wellness.
- May your joining together bring you more joy than you can imagine.
- May your love for each other only strengthen as time goes by.
- May your love shine brighter and your companionship grow richer with each passing day.
- May you both be blessed with lifelong happiness.
- Wishing you a lifetime of joy, love, and happiness.
- Wishing you the very best as you begin to plan your lives together.
- Wishing you both the happily ever after you so very much deserve.
- Through the storms of life, may your love for one another be steadfast and strong.
- All the best with your wedding plans and for the future.
Engagement Quotes for Them
If you’d like to leave an inspirational saying for the couple to remember, you can use a meaningful engagement quote to elevate your card. There’s nothing wrong with getting a bit of extra help from others to make your engagement card more memorable.
- “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” – Eden Ahbez
- “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Anonymous
- “Chains do not hold marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.” – Simone Signoret
- “You don’t need to be on the same wavelength to succeed in marriage. You just need to be able to ride each other’s waves.” – Anonymous
- “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- “True love stories never have endings.” – Richard Bach
Funny Engagement Quotes
If you have an easygoing relationship with the husband or wife to be, you can opt for a funny engagement quote when expressing your sentiment! A lighthearted and humorous saying can brighten up your card, as long as you avoid sayings that are inappropriate. You don’t want to discourage the happy couple from getting married or stir up any negative feelings.
Here are a few quotes that are bound to put a smile on the recipient’s face:
- “It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of you life.”
- “Advice for almost married men: Never laugh at your wife’s choices, you are one of them.”
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
- “Engagement: a reason to stop putting in effort to look good for each other. Congratulations!”
- “He liked it. So he put a ring on it. Congratulations!”
- “Who said you guys were allowed to get engaged without my permission? Oh well, you can have my blessing anyway.”
When to Send an Engagement Card
When you send an engagement card is just as important as what you say inside. If you send an engagement card right before the couple’s wedding date, you likely won’t get the response you want.
In order to let the recipients know that you’re truly happy for them; send an engagement card shortly after the couple share their engagement news. Do your best to wait no longer than four months after the news has been spread.
If you’ve been lucky enough to receive engagement party invitations from the couple, save your stamps and bring your congratulatory engagement card to the party! Whether the couple has decided to host a formal engagement party or a relaxed get-together at home, you should always bring a card and a gift to the celebration.
When you’re drafting your engagement card, speak from the heart and your card writing process will be easier than you think. As long as you’re sincere, the happy couple will appreciate and remember your kind gesture. There’s nothing more satisfying than letting someone know how much you care about them during major milestones in their life.